Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone run JUST Hi-Flo Cat(s) with no Mufflers on a 4.9?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone run JUST Hi-Flo Cat(s) with no Mufflers on a 4.9? by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 04-02-2014 04:19 PM
Replies: 3 (226 views)
Last post by: FieroFanatic13 on 04-03-2014 09:09 AM
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I searched but didn't find anything on this so I am posting here!

I am wondering if running my 4.9 with just a cat or dual cats will be way too loud or if I NEED to plan for a muffler/mufflers as well? If anyone has experience or has tried this please let me know!

As an FYI, I want to run the cats because they reduce the "stank" and are generally better for the air I breath- so please don't chime in to argue against the addition of the cat(s) if that is your thing, as I don't care what you would do in that regard, lol.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 4.9 is run through a Y pipe similar to the Fiero's.
It goes into a 2.5" pipe that's adapted to 3" high flow cat, in the stock location, into another 2.5" pipe that feeds a glasspack in the stock location, and out to a C6 resonated dual tip on the left side.

It sounds really good, but I think it's still too f'n loud. (Or maybe I'm just too old.) It drones in the cabin at freeway speeds.
No way I would run it without a muffler.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Diamond Dave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-03-2014 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard others that just use cats and they were agreed that it was fun but impractical, most of them. I run a N* with a high flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler and I am very happy with the sound. You get a nice full throated low growl turning into a pronounced screaming wail at above 4,000rpms. The people that hear it named it the Ferrari. It is so smooth and doesn't have cracle pop on compression deceleration. Loud enough to get noticed. Loud enough to really enjoy the exhaust note. Refined enough most people find it very pleasing even those who don't like loud in their owwn cars. Good luck. Hope this helps. DD
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Diamond Dave:

I have heard others that just use cats and they were agreed that it was fun but impractical, most of them. I run a N* with a high flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler and I am very happy with the sound. You get a nice full throated low growl turning into a pronounced screaming wail at above 4,000rpms. The people that hear it named it the Ferrari. It is so smooth and doesn't have cracle pop on compression deceleration. Loud enough to get noticed. Loud enough to really enjoy the exhaust note. Refined enough most people find it very pleasing even those who don't like loud in their owwn cars. Good luck. Hope this helps. DD

Well, the 4.9 certainly doesn't sound like a N*, lol. With the more burbly sound I'm betting that I'm going to want to run a muffler or mufflers I guess. Just don't want to shell out too much $ on a crossover and cat before the mufflers!

Thanks to the 2 of you who chimmed in. Appreciate it.

Gary

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 04-03-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock