Old pickup coil and ICM by Csjag
Started on: 04-02-2014 08:59 AM
Replies: 5 (471 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 04-03-2014 09:41 AM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 2M4 5 speed still has the original pickup coil and ICM. She runs good except for a little hunting on idle. Since the parts are so old should I replace them or leave them alone? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my book, new parts never hurt. That said, on my '85 GT, the pickup coil looked really old and nasty, and the vanes on the distro were really rusty. I replaced the whole distro with a rebuilt spare that I had, with a new pickup coil and ICM on it, along with a new cap and rotor, and it ran much, much better.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ICMs don't have an age limit.....they fail when they fail....2 days or 12 years.....Other components in the ignition system contribute to their failure...like ignition coil and spark plug wires, so they should be tested for resistance if they are getting old.

Pick up coils seem to work like they look. If it is getting ratty, change it...but you have to dis-assemble the distributor to do it.

edit: New parts sometimes hurt because many are inferior to what is on your car.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-02-2014).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

edit: New parts sometimes hurt because many are inferior to what is on your car.

I suppose I should have said when dealing with old, broken or original parts, quality new parts never hurt.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a few where the plastic connector on the end of the wires from the pickup coil had become brittle and broken off. My own car was like that - I could plug the loose ends of the wires into the correct places on the module (because the tab was still attached to the wire), but it was a press-fit only. I always worried it would come unplugged while driving.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

ICMs don't have an age limit.....they fail when they fail....2 days or 12 years.....Other components in the ignition system contribute to their failure...like ignition coil and spark plug wires, so they should be tested for resistance if they are getting old.

Pick up coils seem to work like they look. If it is getting ratty, change it...but you have to dis-assemble the distributor to do it.

A good example of new parts hurting old ones is when you replace a single bulb in a circuit the older ones start going very quickly after that.

as far as the pickup coil goes, mine had almost all the electric insulation worn off the coil wires themselves and caused lots of problems when ever it rained or the humidity was high. once it dried out it was fine. I replaced it and have never had the problem again.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock