Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My 87' GT passenger headlight won't go down and oil pressure hits red in some curves

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 87' GT passenger headlight won't go down and oil pressure hits red in some curves by PribanicS
Started on: 04-01-2014 10:49 PM
Replies: 8 (192 views)
Last post by: AL68 on 04-03-2014 11:53 PM
PribanicS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Firstly how should I diagnose the headlight issue? Second is it normal for oil pressure to drop into the red zone when taking a corner? Besides these issues the car runs great with 174,000 miles.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say if your oil pressure is dropping in curves you are probably really low on oil. And that should be your first concern above the headlight problem. Unless you want to replace a motor. Make sure you have the correct dipstick too. I don't think the fiero oil pan has a baffle in it so you must be really low on oil or your oil return ports are partially blocked and not letting the oil get back to the pan easily. Either way I wouldn't continue to drive it if the oil pressure drops on every turn.
PribanicS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the reason I wasn't concerned was because it has only poped my indicator on like twice for short periods of time. It's been about 4,000 miles since my last oil change so I'm defiantly due for one. Why would the oil be low though? I don't have any leaking anywhere that I've seen.
soldier_263

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soldier_263Send a Private Message to soldier_263Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
first off check your oil level. After you verify level if it is low then most likely at 174,000 miles it will begin to burn a slight amount of oil due to many factors ie. valve seals, oil rings, etc. Another factormay be the oil press sending unit has a leak, thread tape causing bad ground, or just possibly a gauge. Above all level of oil is most important.
PribanicS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil looks right where it needs to be. Any help with the headlights though? I was able to twist it down so the cars not winking at everybody I drive by.
PribanicS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PribanicS

87 posts
Member since Jan 2014
Okay, I don't how but my headlight motor is working now. All I did was manually twist it down with the knob this morning.
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you said its working now. But if it does it again.... see if it will lower down if you hold the off button down for a bit. Mine does that, is a bad connection in the switch itself. Can be finicky.

~James
PribanicS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EvilSqueezles:

I know you said its working now. But if it does it again.... see if it will lower down if you hold the off button down for a bit. Mine does that, is a bad connection in the switch itself. Can be finicky.

~James

Most likely, I had my last headlight switch burn up on me so It was replaced last February.

[This message has been edited by PribanicS (edited 04-03-2014).]

AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a 2.8 Citation years ago that did the same thing - oil level good, checked pressure with a gauge (24 psi at idle hot), light came on when turning hard. Ended up being the pickup tube, fell out of the pump.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock