To cat or not to cat? by Diamond Dave
Started on: 03-31-2014 09:13 PM
Replies: 87 (1901 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 04-25-2014 05:33 AM
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I bought this exact cat last year and it worked great. That went on my old 2.8 after the honeycomb in the old cat rattled loose. Cat deletes are even legal here in idaho as the OP knows, but I opted to get a $250 high flow magnaflow cat installed because

1. Cars smell

Yum. Smog. Do your part people.

-Mitch
IP: Logged
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Diamond Dave:

To cat or not to cat? That is queston being asked. Here is my opinion.

Unless your cat is old and plugged up you will receive little to no improvement in either sound or horsepower gains by NOT running a cat.

There is most definitely a difference in sound of a stock system with a catalytic converter and with an otherwise stock system without the catalytic converter. I have one of each, and I've had Fieros with a converter and no muffler.

On the decibel scale, the cat without muffler was the loudest, followed by stock without cat, then with complete stock as the quietest.
Diamond Dave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-03-2014 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I originally started this post to get good information to newer car guys that in my opinion were getting bad information from some members. Yes you can get a louder car without a cat. Will you gain horsepower? Not measurable. Will it sound better? Again personal opinions are rampant. IMO Not if you use a high flow cat. Straight pipes should only be used off road and running without a cat is illegal. The fiero nazi's are upset because I pointed this out. They didn't even consider that there are no real gains in horsepower or noise. Just that it is government mandated so there for let's villify someone who just pointed it out. And by the way that is technical information some need to be aware of. I did not try to to be politicaal only practical. It is still up to everyone to decide what they want to do. I did not wish to start a rumble. Just point out you can have a great sounding car with a cat and muffler. I hope this helps the people who were asking about this subject. Peace to all others who just want to pick out what they percieve as a bad, political motivated post. I assure you that was not my intent. Look at my modified first post if you doubt me.

[This message has been edited by Diamond Dave (edited 04-10-2014).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So...

1.you start by a political motivated post. And seem to claim your statements are the only seeds of truth...
then go back and "EDIT" your modified post to distort what you have said.

2 you state that " The fiero nazi's are upset ". And are trying to " villify someone who just pointed it out".

The only one who seems to be a " fiero Nazi" is you as you "villify " other members who are not enlightend enough to have the great reasoning skills as you the great Captain Planet.....

EDITED to add picture
not to reword my post and claim I never ment what I posted

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 04-03-2014).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

There is most definitely a difference in sound of a stock system with a catalytic converter and with an otherwise stock system without the catalytic converter. I have one of each, and I've had Fieros with a converter and no muffler.

On the decibel scale, the cat without muffler was the loudest, followed by stock without cat, then with complete stock as the quietest.

So finally I seem to have an answer. I've been reading all the "Cat or not" post and even asking about the sound. I don't mean to high jack, but is there a real noticeable sound difference when removing the cat? I have a Thrush muffler and it sounds nice but would like to know how removing the cat would effect the sound. Make it higher or deeper toned? I definitely don't want the ricer sound. Anyone who actually knows and can remove their world view from the answer I would like to hear from Thanx. PM me if you know but don't want to get bashed for killing the world.
R
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 stock 2.8 ,same stock exhaust.One has the cat one doesn't.The cat stoped up and we removed it and replaced it with flex pipe. The sound diff. is more of a deeper toned and is much better than the stock..

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We each have our own opinions about the sound without a cat, alot of folks like it, I prefer a lower thunderous thumpy sound to my exhaust. A stock doesnt really sound like that, neither does a cat removal, but mine is currently stock, if I wanted it lower I would use larger tubes and a different muffler. I suggest searching some online vids for stock and without cat. Even though you will still have the quality of the recording to deal with. The best thing you could do is go so some Fiero shows and hear them in person

http://www.youtube.com/resu...ry=fiero+without+cat

http://www.youtube.com/resu...=stock+fiero+exhaust

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-04-2014).]

Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-05-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Imho cats and mufflers do not hamper sound or horsepower to any real measurable differences except on tracklike conditions and the sound will yes be loud and raw. Most of the questions here were about streetable cars and so I stand by what I said and have experienced. A good high flow cat and muffler will not affect horsepower to any great degree. It can still have aggressive sound with high flow capabilities. And yes in this one case I believe it is the right and responsible thing to do to use a cat on the streets. That is just my opinion and a valid one for most up here. I could be petty and follow you guys around and trash your posts but really. ..I have better things to do and it doesn't help anyone which is what we were suppose to do here. Help others in all things fiero. Peace and have fun with your Fieros no matter what.

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noticed your doing that EDIT thing again.....
Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-05-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
?

[This message has been edited by Diamond Dave (edited 04-06-2014).]

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Begone Troll. And stop editing your posts to make other members look like jerks. You posted what you posted, then when you thought you looked stupid you changed it. Just go away, there is no place here for you. Larry
Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
?

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
racingfortheson, check your pm for a sound bite
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

trotterlg you are a jerk and add nothing of value to this post. This is my posting and all your and fireboss bashing is just some ramblings by immature, inebriated, jackoffs that really should shut the f up. Go bother someone who cares.

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

racingfortheson, check your pm for a sound bite

Thanx, just wanted to make sure everyone knows. I'm going to remove my cat, bah ha ha ha I am now a hater of everyone and O the smell will make everyone sick, on wait, a everyone has there windows up and the a/c going because they love the world so much. Sorry I couldn't help but stir the pot. I'll try and do before and after video's of how it sounds.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let us know what you think about the sound afterwards....

Got to go ,have to go and cut a tree down in a lake of acid water while eating a ham sandwich with non organic mayo ,while sucking the exhaust from my car into the 2nd story window of a baby seal orphanage.....and listening to "99 red ballons" on my old lead acid battery powered Walkman..

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 04-07-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Thanx, just wanted to make sure everyone knows. I'm going to remove my cat, bah ha ha ha I am now a hater of everyone and O the smell will make everyone sick, on wait, a everyone has there windows up and the a/c going because they love the world so much. Sorry I couldn't help but stir the pot.

Nice.

So who's "the son" you're "racing for"?
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fireboss..

Enough, He gets the point. /thread.
Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
?

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Nice.

So who's "the son" you're "racing for"?

We have a Christian racing team, checkout our YouTube channel www.youtube.com/racingfortheson

That being said, I'm feel like a bad person because of how much enjoyment I have gotten from this page. 😂
PFF
System Bot
Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

We have a Christian racing team...

That being said, I'm feel like a bad person because of how much enjoyment I have gotten from this page.

I'm sure you're feeling just terrible about the fun you've had.

For a guy that lists "Jesus" as the very first interest in his Profile, you're acting very un-Christ-like. Your posts aren't the worst in this thread, but jumping on the bandwagon to mock someone for absolutely no valid reason is rather disgusting nevertheless. It's hypocrisy like this that turned me off organized religion, Christian or otherwise, years ago.

Yeah, I'm sure the Son would be really proud of your behavior here.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Y'all are funny. I just went back and read my post and if y'all can't see the funny then your loss. Don't for get we are not solving the worlds problems here, we are having fun talking about a car that we are all in love with for no good reason. They where not fast, light or made all that great, but the car is AWESOME to us. Get over yourself and start being a lil more light hearted. One thing for sure, if cracking jokes makes me a back follower of Jesus then I'm lost. (Ha ha get it "lost" ??)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rationalize it all you want... this turned into an ugly thread.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Fireboss..

Enough, He gets the point. /thread.

No,he doesnt
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

2248 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Christian being a relative term. Hateful, disrespectful of good advice, not given by me but by others respected on thisnforum, and a downright disregard for others. Yeah that sounds just like a Christian. Racing for the son is no reference to Christ as he would not condone this type of behavior. Good try. I'm done.

O if only you truly were "Done"
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

2248 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Rationalize it all you want... this turned into an ugly thread.

Yes it has and you were in the forefront when you first started posting.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

Yes it has and you were in the forefront when you first started posting.

Are you suggesting I contributed to this being an "ugly thread"? If so, please point out where exactly this occurred.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No he doesn't. I am ashamed that fireboss had anything to do with something I hold dear. If you were ever on my fire team with your attitude you would have had your balls wrapped around your head.

Yep, cause the first thing you worry about in a fire fight is a few post on an internet site...
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

2248 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Are you suggesting I contributed to this being an "ugly thread"? If so, please point out where exactly this occurred.

I don't own it but here a pict of an Enterra Vipre...

See I can't be all bad...
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

See I can't be all bad...

Look... I don't know you, and I don't know Diamond Dave. However, IMO you've gone overboard with your posts in this thread. There was no need to be so nasty. If you didn't like what Dave was posting in a thread that he started, no one was forcing you read his posts or to participate. Or you could've disagreed in a civil manner.

Unfortunately I see this in O/T all the time. It's bad enough there... but I hate seeing this nonsense in the tech forums. It isn't necessary.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look... I don't know you, and I don't know Diamond Dave. However, IMO you've gone overboard with your posts in this thread. There was no need to be so nasty. If you didn't like what Dave was posting in a thread that he started, no one was forcing you read his posts or to participate. Or you could've disagreed in a civil manner.

Unfortunately I see this in O/T all the time. It's bad enough there... but I hate seeing this nonsense in the tech forums. It isn't necessary.

You go nasty over a person religion,This Diamond Dave spouts hatred and cutting off balls and all of the nasty PMs he is sending to members.
Yet we are overboard.

Well excuse me if I could care less what you think should be said in an unapproved post by you.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You go nasty over a person religion...

Yeah right...

You're obviously only interested in being a disruptive influence here.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah right...

You're obviously only interested in being a disruptive influence here.

Yep

And you the Great vision of reason,sent forth to enlighten all who differ from you and trample upon others as you see fit...
For only through your knowledge and wisdom shall we realize you are the ultimate poster of tolerance..
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tell you what... Just carry on by yourself. No one else (but you) is interested in this nonsense. Good day.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To Quote Rodney King ---"Can we all get along?" and "I don't see how you can grow as a world without being able to get along with people. So many people is hating out there and it's not making a difference".
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tell you what... Just carry on by yourself. No one else (but you) is interested in this nonsense. Good day.

Well I guess you put me in my place.....

Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2014 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay