Isuzu 5 speed clutch pedal by Csjag
Started on: 03-30-2014 08:10 PM
Replies: 8 (175 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 03-31-2014 06:37 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 duke 5 speed clutch doesn't dis-engage until close to the floor and unless I shift into 5th gear fast it grinds a little. I have replaced the pedal with a new steel one, I have an aftermarket slave cylinder that I put Rodney's dual seal piston in. This weekend I put a rebuild kit in the master cylinder. I also notice that the pedal moves about an inch before there is any resistance at all. Any ideas? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero clutch systems are terrible to bleed and you always seem to have air in them after bleeding. So I would try bleeding it again. They way I bleed them is lifting the front of the car about a foot off the ground and unbolting the slave cylinder and connecting a vacuum bleeder. While pulling fluid through under vacuum I will also press the slave piston in as far as possible. So far this has worked best for me and I have done hundreds of fiero's. The problem is how the system is designed and where the bleeder valve is placed, air always gets trapped in the slave cylinder.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to double-check... how high does your clutch pedal sit in relation to your brake pedal?

It should be an inch above the brake pedal.

If it is, I'd say air in your clutch hydraulic system is the most likely problem.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-30-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I pull it up by hand its an inch higher but it drops to the same height if I release it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

If I pull it up by hand its an inch higher but it drops to the same height if I release it.

Okay, I see a problem there. You're not getting maximum stroke of the clutch pedal if it's sitting an inch too low right from the get go.

Have you got the clutch banjo installed with the loop in the up position?

I've also seen banjos that are too short, and others that are bent.

I made an adjustable banjo much like Rodney sells. That combined with a dual-seal slave and a proper bleeding eliminated all clutch disengagement problems I had.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-30-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty sure the banjo is in the up position but I will check it tm. I wonder if the spring in the master could be weak, its the original master cylinder.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I wonder if the spring in the master could be weak, its the original master cylinder.

It's the clutch diaphragm that pushes everything back.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope yours turns out to be as simple as air in the line.

I went through the same things as you did. Clutch disengaging at the very end of the pedal throw. Removed the pedal assembly and checked it. Replaced the master and slave cylinders, bled, bled and bled. Finally cracked it open only to find this.

Best of luck.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It shifts fine into all gears except for a slight grind into 5th unless I shift really fast that why I was thinking that maybe the master wasn't holding pressure. The banjo isn't upside down.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock