steering rack preload screw? by AL87
Started on: 03-29-2014 03:03 PM
Replies: 10 (639 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 04-09-2014 09:34 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is this preload screw for?
im talking with someone about what he calls a preload screw, he is saying that it can be tightened from the top of the rack for what he is assuming its purpose is to take up "slack" (loose steering feel). his complaint is of a loose steering feeling and thinks this is a solution, we're about to make plans for me to take it out and apart to see what a possible cause could be.

I've yet to hear about said preload screw, and assume its the steering rack bushing causing his problem.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Maybe this............

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-2-036047.html

the op is describing EXACTLY what the person Im trying to help is describing!!! thanks!

Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are going to be adjusting that screw you will probably want this:
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_44&products_id=200
It makes taking off the locknut that everyone in the thread above is complaining about a walk in the park.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. I get a steering wheel jiggle of sorts when crossing railroad tracks for example, and it also seems to follow road dips, but I do have wider tracking 17 inch wheels and was thinking that could be the reason. Maybe there is a way to test this? Its an 88 (Formula).
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already ordered one

I would assume the larger the footprint the front wheels generate, the more of a steering feedback you would have.

so I guess I'll have to take some pictures and post some feedback after I test the steering when I make a final adjustment.
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a certain way to adjust it. Someone with the factory service manual should chime in because you don't want to get it too tight.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

There is a certain way to adjust it. Someone with the factory service manual should chime in because you don't want to get it too tight.

I have a factory service manual somewhere... I gotta dig it out.
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It should be under the part about rebuilding the steering rack. Don't quote me on this, but it should say something like ' Tighten all the way and then loosen it 60* '
Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know if the castle locknut screw that covers the pinion bearing adjustment screw is spring loaded. I'll be working from underneath the car and heard the sound of a spring turning as I started unscrewing the castle nut. So I tightened it back up and came to ask the mighty PFF.
So if it's just a cap, then I am good.
Anybody do this with the rack in the car, from underneath?
Really don't want to remove the trunk liner to fix this.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the front compartment liner out. It is real easy to do. And it made the job easy to do. If my memory serves me there is a spring inside so that is probably what you hear. No need to use force on the nut. Just nice and easy. Turn it till it stops then back it off like the manual says.
I did it on the 88 when I had it and I have done that on the 87 when before I replace the rack. Taking the liner out is not complicated. My 88 was stock but the 87 has the battery in the front. It still wasnt hard to do. Hey if this old guy can do it you can.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-12-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock