Holy Oil Cap Batman! by RilesOfSmiles
Started on: 03-29-2014 11:43 AM
Replies: 7 (417 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 03-31-2014 12:45 PM
RilesOfSmiles

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At some point my oil cap came off my car and was lying broken in the streets. No idea how long I had been driving the car without the cap and I hope I didn't get any water in there (It has been raining lately). Should I change the oil just in case? I lost about half a quart of oil from the filler hole.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If there is water in your oil you could see it. The oil turns tan and has the consistency of yogurt. If you see any evidence of that, change the oil.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-29-2014).]

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a real simple test to see if you have water (or coolant) in your oil.

Start the engine and let it come up to temp. Pull the dipstick out and let the oil on the dipstick drip onto the exhaust manifold close to the engine head (where it will be very hot). If you hear any sizzling then you likely have water in the oil. You're listening for the sound water would make when it hits a surface that is hot enough to boil it immediately. If there is not any water in the oil you will not hear anything - the oil will burn silently.
nickbrown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-29-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickbrownSend a Private Message to nickbrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was trying to heat up a stuck oil pan bolt and thought i heard a boiling sound? the oil looks light brown when i pull the dip stick,, i never drove the car so don't know much about it, could there be water in the oil? car not moved in 5 years

[This message has been edited by nickbrown (edited 03-29-2014).]

Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2014 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Condensation in the oil after years of sitting is a no brainer. Change the oil before starting this engine or you will have internal problems soon.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nickbrown:

i was trying to heat up a stuck oil pan bolt and thought i heard a boiling sound? the oil looks light brown when i pull the dip stick,, i never drove the car so don't know much about it, could there be water in the oil? car not moved in 5 years

I dont recommend using anything to heat up an oil pan bolt, oil can burn and it would be hard to put out an oil fire.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by RilesOfSmiles:

At some point my oil cap came off my car and was lying broken in the streets. No idea how long I had been driving the car without the cap and I hope I didn't get any water in there (It has been raining lately). Should I change the oil just in case? I lost about half a quart of oil from the filler hole.

When in doubt, its worth changing in case anything got in there
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Change the oil, it's cheap and it cannot possibly Hurt.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock