AC help by jon m
Started on: 03-29-2014 10:59 AM
Replies: 12 (700 views)
Last post by: TK on 04-14-2014 02:19 AM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi - I am in need of some help ( I will at this point say thanks to top notch who has guided me ) on my a/c conversion to 134a

the car is 87gt and this is what I have done so far

cleaned the area where the a/c "radiator" hides in the front bulkhead (not much debris in there)
replaced the orifice tube including new o rings
removed my compressor (this is a rebuilt one but on advice took it out and drained the oil).

my questions are as follows;

which port do I pour the oil into on the compressor ? one is marked s the other is marked d

which port do I pour oil into my new accumulator?

please could you tell me sealing washers to use on the compressor ? the conversion kit from the fiero store contains two types a pair of thicker washers with rubber inside and a pair of thinner washers also with rubber inside (if this makes sense)
the thicker type washer

the thinner type washer

all opinions welcomed

Jon m
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, pour the oil in the "s" port. That is the suction port. Make sure you turn the compressor ten times by hand in the direction the belt would turn it. That will distribute the oil. Used any port in the accumulator. Then let it sit standing upright. As for as the sealing washer go, you have to figure that out. Some of the manifold ports are off set and you would have to use one of each size. Some are even-deep or shallow. Looking at your manifold and set the washers on it. The washers should be level were they mate to the compressor. I hope that helps
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you - is it wise to put some of the oil into the "little radiator thing" (do forgive me) which sits at the bulkhead which then flows into the accumulator ?

jon
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If by "little radiator thing", you mean the evaporator, you don't need to put oil in it. The evaporator is in front of the car's engine radiator.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the "little radiator" I was referring to is on the passenger side behind the plastic cowling that houses the blower?
if this helps
jon
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

If by "little radiator thing", you mean the evaporator, you don't need to put oil in it. The evaporator is in front of the car's engine radiator.

Condenser. The evaporator is in the dash.

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Condenser. The evaporator is in the dash.

o.k - I now know the names of the parts.

I have cleaned the evaporator in the dash area (removed the blower and the large black plastic clover and the black putty stuff)
I am going to look at the condenser next to the radiator to see if any o rings need changing.

so far I have put the ester oil in the suction side of the compressor - I am going to put some in the accumulator - do I need to put the ester oil any where else ?

any opinions welcomed
Jon m
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Jon m. No. Your good. I followed Randye and Marvin McInnis plus super help from others with their conversion and it worked great. It is under search "randye" - titled " What A/C compressor do I have?...plus more dumb A/C questions" great info, parts and back and forth questions and answers. Your already on your way. This thread should give you all of the info you need. Good Luck!

------------------
FIEROBUG

[This message has been edited by fierobug (edited 04-06-2014).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help.

I have now fitted the accumulator with some ester oil and fitted.
replace the old o rings at the condenser, the accumulator, the orifice tube and at the compressor tube both ends.

I am right in thinking that all I need to do now is have it checked for leaks and maybe flushed cleaned and then topped up with refrigerant gas ?

Jon m
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A procedure that is recommended is to remove all of the old 525 mineral oil from the system as this takes up space that the R-134a would occupy. While flushing is not necessary opening the lines, blowing them out and dumping the compressor oil out is beneficial. Remember that after you put back all of the connections, to evacuate to 29" hg before charging. This is very important for proper operation.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dennis I will bear this in mind when I take it to be flushed next week

jon
PFF
System Bot
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well as an update goes I have now decided against a/c as of yesterday
am on test runs to see how the car performs as I am planning a road trip see here https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093379.html
And found that the belt may have been a little too tight on and as a result my unused reman compressor seized and nearly had the belt on fire.
thanks for all your help
jon
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

Well as an update goes I have now decided against a/c as of yesterday
am on test runs to see how the car performs as I am planning a road trip see here https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093379.html
And found that the belt may have been a little too tight on and as a result my unused reman compressor seized and nearly had the belt on fire.
thanks for all your help
jon

Job the club. I learned the same lesson a few years ago but all it did was destroy the pulley/clutch bearing and torched the clutch (it was sizzling.) $60 later and it's been working well for years.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock