Has my seat been raised? (pic inside) by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 03-28-2014 08:35 PM
Replies: 18 (486 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-29-2014 08:31 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 5' 8" but my head barely clears the roof. Wondering if the seat has been raised by previous owner. Does this pic look right?

------------------
My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What the heck is that? Looks like a home-made seat track. Are those Fiero seats?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-28-2014).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

What the heck is that? Looks like a home-made seat track. Are those Fiero seats?

I assumed they are stock seats. I was told they were recovered with Mr. Mikes covers. From your reaction I take it the mechanism isn't stock.

Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look like third Gen Camaro seats with a home made/modified seat tracks
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely non-stock or modified seat tracks.

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-28-2014).]

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely not fiero seat tracks. You can't even think about putting a hand under a fiero seat they sit so low!
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspected as much. I bought it from a little 80 year old man! He was the second owner and had it over 15 years.

The seats are comfortable, solid and work perfectly but I don't think a 6 footer would fit in it. I'll have to have a closer look. Maybe shortening the spacers shown in the pic would work.
neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look like Fiero seats and tracks to me. The only thing that looks different are the spacers so if you eliminate those you should be good to go.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by neverendingproject:

They look like Fiero seats and tracks to me. The only thing that looks different are the spacers so if you eliminate those you should be good to go.

Previous owner probably had trouble looking over the steering wheel.

You can see how high the front of the seat is relative to the center console.
It looks to be exactly the same amount as the spacers used to lift the seat.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy, I'm confused now. So they may or may not be Fiero seats and/or tracks but they are definitely higher than stock. I'm going to see a GT parts car later today if it doesn't rain. I'll try to get a closer look...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They could very well be stock seats and Mr.Mikes covers.
The track/height is not stock, however. The stock setup has the tracks bolted directly to the bottom of the seat.
Look at your passenger seat. I suspect he didn't mod both of them.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

PFF
System Bot
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are all-thread coupler nuts. You know, the hardware department has those 2 or 3 foot long rods that are threaded the full length. Those seat track "spacers" rare the nuts that you use to join 2 sections of rod together.
Neat way to raise your seat but probably not the safest way to do it
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definately get rid of those dangerous spacers NOW. Your 5 star crash rating just went down to 1 as your entire seat with you in it is catapulted through the windshield during a wreck.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Your 5 star crash rating just went down to 1 as your entire seat with you in it is catapulted through the windshield during a wreck.

His seat belt would probably be strong enough to keep him and the detached seat from going through the windshield, but yeah, those spacers are a Mickey Mouse (and dangerous) way to raise the seat. Get rid of them!
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I have a new priority this weekend. He raised both sides so I'll start on the passenger side to practice on.

I'm guessing the whole seat and track assembly will have to come out together to get at those spacers?

He probably had to install longer bolts to accommodate the extra length of the spacers. Once I get them out I can subtract the length of the spacer from the length of the bolt to get the correct replacement size. Does that sound right or is there something I am missing?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like you have it right.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

He probably had to install longer bolts to accommodate the extra length of the spacers. Once I get them out I can subtract the length of the spacer from the length of the bolt to get the correct replacement size. Does that sound right or is there something I am missing?

Keep in mind that there are four studs (per seat) that sick up out of the floor which the stock Fiero seat rails are placed over (and held on with nuts). The seat rails in your picture (from the one corner we can see) look different. Or maybe the top part of the rail is just slid forward and is covering the stud/nut?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-29-2014).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Keep in mind that there are four studs (per seat) that sick up out of the floor which the stock Fiero seat rails are placed over (and held on with nuts). The seat rails in your picture (from the one corner we can see) look different. Or maybe the top part of the rail is just slid forward and is covering the stud/nut?

In the pic the seat is forward and the floor mat is covering the front foot of that corner. I guess I am going to need a long socket extender to reach the back corner between the seat and the console.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

I guess I am going to need a long socket extender to reach the back corner between the seat and the console.

With the seat slid fully forward you should have no trouble getting a box-end wrench (13mm?) on the nut.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock