clutch problems by devildog0692
Started on: 03-27-2014 10:08 PM
Replies: 13 (907 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 04-19-2014 11:48 AM
devildog0692

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for devildog0692Send a Private Message to devildog0692Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after replacing the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, the clutch pedal, the clutch arm, and bleeding the system A LOT, I have come to the conclusion it's time to take the clutch apart to see if that is causing my lack of disengagement. I plan on replacing the clutch fork and the clutch itself. Does anyone know where I can find the correct clutch kit for my 85 se 4 speed that won't hurt my wallet too much?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can change the engagement point by pumping the pedal, the issue is air and not internal mechanicals.

The Fiero Store has a good collection of clutches....I have not read a complaint yet.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not trying to bash, jut trying to learn. But why would that change the engagement point if air is in the system? The clutch doesn't hold pressure like the brakes, does it?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The master cylinder is set up to add fluid from the reservoir after the clutch pedal is depressed. If there is too much, the fluid bleeds through a relief valve back into the reservoir....The valve does not work instantly..so for a second or two there is higher pressure in the system, compressing air if it is in there. If you repeat the pedal motion quickly you can add more fluid and compress the air further...the end result being more travel of the slave cylinder and quicker dis-engagement of the plate. If there is no air in the system, the dis-engagement spot does not move.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-28-2014).]

TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hydraulic clutch works just like the brake system. Any air in the system will compress and you will not get movement at the slave cylinder. I replaced the master and slave with parts from the local auto parts store.
After struggling for days to get the system to work correctly I noticed fluid leaking from the push rod seal in the master cylinder. I threw that away and purchased the Rodney Dickman master and slave, installed it bled it, and have put 10k miles on it without a single hiccup. I don't know if you're using Rodney's parts but if you're not, save yourself a lot of problems, buy them and don't look back.
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TriumphFetish

98 posts
Member since Jul 2013
OH! I just noticed your username. Semper Fi!
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm okay, that's interesting. Thanks!
devildog0692

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for devildog0692Send a Private Message to devildog0692Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rah motivator!! I will keep that in mind cause I did replace both the master and slave using auto store parts. are rodneys master and slave expensive?
devildog0692

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for devildog0692Send a Private Message to devildog0692Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I've seen a couple different sizes for the clutch plate for the 4 speed. I've seen that it's supposed to be the 9 3/4" plate or the 9 1/8" plate. My thinking here is that maybe the bigger size is actually for the 5 speed? Anyone able to help with this?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bigger size is for engines with more torque.... Or drivers with more testosterone.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First thing to look at is how much movement you get on the lever on the trans. Hold a scale up to it while someone pushes the clutch pedal. Should be around 1 1/8" movement. If it is that much it is then time to look at the clutch assembly.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
devildog0692

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for devildog0692Send a Private Message to devildog0692Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I guess at that point if it's not that much i should check the master and slave again?
devildog0692

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for devildog0692Send a Private Message to devildog0692Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I guess at that point if it's not that much i should check the master and slave again?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should look at either air in the line or a bent pedal assembly.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock