Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Help!!!! HP100n hawk hp plus pads hit knuckle!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Help!!!! HP100n hawk hp plus pads hit knuckle! by mattman134
Started on: 03-27-2014 08:23 PM
Replies: 4 (157 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 03-28-2014 04:50 PM
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to use hawk hp plus hb100n pads on my 88. The inboard pad hits the knuckle where the caliper mounting bolts go through. I already drilled the holes for the pins and filed the sides for the outer bracket but they still won't fit. Please help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gwg1995

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gwg1995Send a Private Message to gwg1995Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a brake expert but you shouldn't have to modify your pads. The 88's as you probably know have a different caliper and they may have sent you pads for an 84-87? Just my 2 cents.
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are an 88 only upgrade. Looks like I need to grind off about 1/16" from the brake caliper mounting bosses on the knuckle. I wish someone would tell me how they made theirs work because I am afraid grinding on the knuckle will cause it to fail

[This message has been edited by mattman134 (edited 03-28-2014).]

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattman134:
The inboard pad hits the knuckle where the caliper mounting bolts go through. I already drilled the holes for the pins and filed the sides for the outer bracket but they still won't fit. Please help!

Based on the first two sentences quoted above I'd say you've got the wrong pads, or pads that are not intended to be used on an 88 Fiero. There are several companies that make brake pads for the 88's, and a few really good ones (EBC green stuff).
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:
Based on the first two sentences quoted above I'd say you've got the wrong pads, or pads that are not intended to be used on an 88 Fiero. There are several companies that make brake pads for the 88's, and a few really good ones (EBC green stuff).

He is trying to adapt common off the shelf racing pads with a wide range of available compounds to the 88 caliper. It is quite common as the pad compounds available for the 88's are much less than the 84-87.

Originally posted by mattman134:
I wish someone would tell me how they made theirs work because I am afraid grinding on the knuckle will cause it to fail

You might want to PM Steven Snyder as he has adapted other pads to his 88.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock