flat spotted tires by Csjag
Started on: 03-27-2014 07:09 AM
Replies: 19 (243 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-29-2014 10:29 AM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 GT I acquired 3 months ago. The car sat on a concrete garage floor for 2 years with a bad fuel pump. when I drive it there's lots of vibration from flat spotted tires. When you look at the tires they appear fine, no cracking or bulges in the sidewall, etc. I saw an Ehow thread that said to inflate the tires to the maximum sidewall pressure and drive for 150 miles and that should eliminate the flat spotting. Anyone ever done this? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats about all you can do. I have had tires that I could feel flat spots in, I just made suire they were properly inflated and drove it, they went away. It may depend on how low of air pressure the tires were while they sat those 2 years.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't put them to the max. psi, but I would fill them to about 34PSI and drive them.... as long as they were not cracked. Even then you may have an issue. I have had "flat" tires, and they seemed to bounce back with just normal PSI and driving.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto that on the pressure.
32-34 psi and drive on them.
My 86 sits all winter and in the spring it's the same issue. bump, bump, bump
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue with tires that sat on a tire rack for a while. Just drive on them and they should be good in about a week or two
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Warming them up will help too... find a nice clover leaf and make a few laps. Don't go nuts though.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 03-27-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the compound and belts are right, getting them warm helps sometimes. Some belts will take a permanent flat set and nothing you can do about it. Never store a car on its tires for any length of time. Either take them off, or jack it up by the A frames (dont let the suspension hang). You may have to wait for warm weather too. I run 40-42 pnds of air in all my cars tires and have for 20 years with no problems at all. I dont get any tread edge wear thats common these days. Mine wear completely even across the tread. Ride might be a bit harsher, but not enough to bother me. Gets better gas mileage too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you might be able to "fix" flat spots... flat spotting are common w/ some belt design. should "fix" itself in a mile or two w/ normal pressure and driving. very cold, below 0°F, 2-4 miles.

see also https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/101471.html
3 digit code should be junked. They were made in '90s or older.

Any damage are problems but old tires can be bad even looking like new.
tires get filled w/ "shop air" or even small 12v pump often contaminated w/ oil, water, etc. and can get weak from inside. Flat spot mean all contamination in same spot and can work on that area.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes have a feeling that I will have to replace them. Just drove about 38 miles round trip to walmart with 38 punds of air in tires and there is no change, bad vibration at many different speeds and less vibration at other speeds. Stopped halfway back and let out air down to 32 lbs and no change. I think the tires are probably old too.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
I see a DOT number of 319 on one tire and 419 on another. Does this mean they were made in the 90's!
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they the same tires?
Could be tread wear numbers?
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
they are all the same goodyear 205/55-16 tires
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
I stand corrected: two of the tires are Goodyear Eagle T/R's with DOT MKT2 VCHR 319 and 419 on them. The other two are Goodyear American Eagle's they ate all 205/55-16 tires. I don't see any DOT numbers on the American Eagles I guess those are marked on the inside edge. Are these tires from the 90's?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
Well it looks like the Eagle T/R'S were made in 1999 so in the trash they all go as soon as I can afford a set of 4 new tires.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wise move. Goodyear tires tend to get hard as they age, so even with no flat spots you probably will not like how they perform.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Burnout pics!?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:
I stand corrected: two of the tires are Goodyear Eagle T/R's with DOT MKT2 VCHR 319 and 419 on them. The other two are Goodyear American Eagle's they ate all 205/55-16 tires. I don't see any DOT numbers on the American Eagles I guess those are marked on the inside edge. Are these tires from the 90's?

20 years old minimum... 1993 1994 or 1983 1984.... 60 mile on iffy old tires... lucky didn't blowout on the highway.
Date code label only 1 side of tire.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I live dangerously. My GT40 kit had the big outline white letter Goodyears from the late 60s/early 70s. They looked good on the car with practically new tread. I kept them on it after I rebuilt it since they dont have anything like them anymore except for off road. They didnt go flat setting for a year while I worked on it, and didnt shake at all on the freeway. I picked it up probably 2002 or thereabouts, so they were 30+ years old.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess they don't make Goodyear's like they did in the 60's and 70's but I thought you had said before that you never let your tires sit on the ground for extended periods?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont let them set long unless the cars jacked up. BUT.. I rarely let a car set still for more than a week or two. I believe in driving them all. I drove the GT all the time I was working on it. I pretty much even drove the motorhome a few miles every few weeks all winter...when there wasnt snow or ice on the road. Vehicles that set for extended periods almost always have problems when you do drive it. Im completely against the 'winter storage' idea. At the very least, the gas turns to crap....and if your tires are on the ground they flat spot...sometimes permanently

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock