Started on: 03-26-2014 04:56 PM
Replies: 22 (636 views)
Last post by: tesmith66 on 03-28-2014 12:31 PM
troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
while Archie has been building the Enterra for the wife I've been working on a cooling fan upgrade project for the chop top at home. I'm at the point of wiring and I would like to use the supplied 40amp relay that came with the fan. Before I do this I need help finding a wiring diagram for the factory relay as I need to tap in to the fan trigger wire. The car still has AC so I believe it has two trigger wires? but the 40amp relay only has input for one, would it be ok to feed both trigger wires into the same relay port?

The RA1000 and RA8000 are a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) Automotive Relays. An
SPDT Relay is an electromagnetic switch, consisting of a coil (terminals 85 & 86), 1 common
terminal (30), 1 normally closed terminal (87a) and one normally open terminal (87).
When the coil of an SPDT Relay (Figure 1) is at rest (not energized), the common terminal (30)
and the normally closed terminal (87a) have continuity. When the coil is energized, the
common terminal (30) and the normally open terminal (87) have continuity.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the fan

it's a zirgo 3630 CFM
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wire th3 fan leads to the existing wire plug on the Fiero harness. The newer fans draw less amperage than the stock fan. It will work just fine.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the reply!
I was thinking about doing that as it would save me a lot of time , but after doing some research on this model fan on other forums a lot of guys that used the stock wiring on their cars say the fan made less CFM. When they switched to the supplied wiring the CFM was greater. I'm not sure as to why this would be true but figured it couldn't hurt to use the upgraded supplied wiring.

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 03-27-2014).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That makes no sense from an electrical standpoint. I've done several with no issues. Perhaps they had corroded contacts in their stock fan relays?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That upgrade looks familiar

Just run it with the stock relay.

http://fierosound.com/moreMODS.htm

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it have anything to do with the direct 10g power lead from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the fan? Do you know what the amp rating is for the stock relay? I know I have a lot of questions but just don't want to fry it or make it less effective. They say it pulls more than 20 amps at start up but then it shows a 20amp fuse between the battery and relay on the wiring diagram

Thanks and please be patient with me ... this is the madness I put Archie through, BTW he said the stock should work also.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

troyboy

2075 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by fierosound:

That upgrade looks familiar

Just run it with the stock relay.

http://fierosound.com/moreMODS.htm

It should you planted the seed in my head , what model did you use the 3000 cfm or the 3600 cfm and was it an improvement over stock.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock only runs around 2300 cfm and pulls more amps.
You will be fine with the stock wiring.
Trust us!
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to his site, the one fierosound used is a Proform Fan PN# 67016. It moves 2100cfm...

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, how many cfm do you need?
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe said the stocker is 2300cfm... I would assume that with a shroud, a 2100cfm fan is probably fine compared to an open air 2300cfm...
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Well, how many cfm do you need?

The car that this setup is going into has a supercharged LS7 with the heat exchanger in front of the AC exchanger. the car has never over heated on me but if I can prevent it I would like to. I've been to many hot rod shows with cars on the side of the road over heated in traffic. Its the stop and go traffic that always gets you on that 95 F+ day.

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 03-27-2014).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same fan that I mounted to my shroud about 5 years ago. It is quieter, and cools the radiator off faster.

I used stock wiring, and never had a problem.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2300 cfm is from memory.......I have been wrong before, it may be less....
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the same thing with a hayden fan set up and just used factore wiring. Just used a different pigtail. I can actually feel the fan pulling and watch the temp drop while sitting!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Just wire th3 fan leads to the existing wire plug on the Fiero harness. The newer fans draw less amperage than the stock fan. It will work just fine.

It may work just fine but it may also run slower with the thinner wirer gauge. I know my friend who is an electrician says not to use an extension cord lower than a 12 gauge wire for lengths over 50' because it will burn up power tools, never had it happen myself but hey what do I know. because the thinner wirer will not allow the same amount of power over long runs, not sure if that holds true over shorter runs. but I also know because I have been looking into solar and alternative power and they recommend as thick a wire gauge as you can use to maximize Amps.

You can most likely get away with the stock wirer but the fan may run slower, just guessing as I am not an electrician.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the wiring diagram, the fan supply, all the way back to the fusible link and ground wires are 12ga, well back to the distribution splice anyway... that should be good up to a 40A draw. If your fan exceeds that, check the documentation, upgrade your wiring and verify the current rating of the the relay being used...

The 3 in font of the color of the wire is the metric wire size in cross sectional area... 3mm2 is equivalent to 12ga.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 03-27-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know its good if you can pop your headlight doors up while sitting still
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:
thanks for the reply!
I was thinking about doing that as it would save me a lot of time , but after doing some research on this model fan on other forums a lot of guys that used the stock wiring on their cars say the fan made less CFM. When they switched to the supplied wiring the CFM was greater. I'm not sure as to why this would be true but figured it couldn't hurt to use the upgraded supplied wiring.

Is BS. Their OE wiring was hosed...
They measured CFM flow how? Or did they get RPM of motor before and after? Unlikely.
Did they check volts and amps? Probably not.
Iffy wiring/ground can cause voltage drop and high amps. Low volt can cause low RPM etc.
Likely just need to get a new relay and/or fix grounds.
See my Cave, Electric Motors

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the info guys! I have some thinking to do tonight on this as I plan to do the fan swap this weekend. If I use the new 40amp relay I looks like I would just need to connect the green and white wire to the 85 port on the new relay. But man oh man using stock sounds tempting and a lot quicker.
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What model is that? Just their 16" model?

Edit: Nevermind just saw it at the end of your fan pics... missed it before.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 03-28-2014).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did EXACTLY what Fierosound did (same fan and everything) and it has worked fine for years.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock