Suspension trouble by Turrent
Started on: 03-25-2014 07:22 PM
Replies: 8 (221 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-28-2014 10:59 AM
Turrent

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurrentSend a Private Message to TurrentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright today i hit a pole hole and from that moment on the rear can randomly decide to sway or set the toe in the rear to hard i can hear the tire skipping i know its a mc pherson strut set up. I can't seem to check for damages on jacks since the whole suspension sags holding everything tight. Under turns it seems to want weave. under straight line acceleration it seems to hold still light peddle or coasting seem to be the main ways i can get it to sway. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and can point me to the right part. I can't feel that much play in the tie rod but again once lifted it doesn't shift.

Side note i'm selling my fiero at the moment and someone is interested so i'm kind of in a bind trying to sort out this issue so not to get beat on price but also sell a safe to drive car. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You reference a tie rod so I assume it's an 84-87.
Could be a number of things but I suspect the lower ball joint or tie rod end.
You will need to check it loaded.
Can you jack up the car and then put a jack under the lower control arm to load that wheel?
Or just try to jack it up by that LCA if your jack is low enough.
You can take off the wheel at that point (replace 2 lug nuts) and try to shake the rotor up/down & sideways.
You should be able to see something moving. Look at the LCA bolts, strut bolts, tie rod ends, etc.
Have a buddy do that for you while you hold on to all those things and feel for looseness.
Also look for a bent LCA.
Just some ideas????
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I had an issue in the rear similar to what you describe and it was indeed the lower ball joint for me. If I jacked it up I could grab the wheel at the sides and it had movement in it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check for rusted out mounts for the LCA, etc.... since you live in a salt-using state... it could be a structural failure. Also, don't drive it in this condition.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 03-26-2014).]

Turrent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurrentSend a Private Message to TurrentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will check after work carefully curious about what you ment as to structural failure? The bushing or something else? and yes no plans to drive the car at the moment till the issue is resolved.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Turrent:

Will check after work carefully curious about what you ment as to structural failure? The bushing or something else? and yes no plans to drive the car at the moment till the issue is resolved.

Rusted out connections... no structural support any more. Look for rusted connection at bolts, poke around with a screw driver.
Turrent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurrentSend a Private Message to TurrentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So jacked up the back took the wheels up jacked up under ball joint I cant really get anything to move so I'm guessing the ball joint is damaged but that's still guessing unless you've got suggestions I can check for the bolts and control arm bushings seem intack on both sides I tried checking both sides just incase
Turrent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurrentSend a Private Message to TurrentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Control arm ball joint condition

Control arm bushing
Bushing again
Well removed the ball joint going to remove it visually looks fine doesn't feel loose but now that it's out might as well replace it (have to anyway since i drilled out the rivets)
Though curious if anyone notices something i don't.

[This message has been edited by Turrent (edited 03-27-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some places will do free alignment checks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock