Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 Intercooler heat exchanger/radiator in place of AC condensor and AC lines?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Intercooler heat exchanger/radiator in place of AC condensor and AC lines? by Ponti88GT
Started on: 03-25-2014 05:17 PM
Replies: 8 (324 views)
Last post by: Ponti88GT on 03-26-2014 12:41 PM
Ponti88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, So who has already done this and how did it work out? I am considering taking the AC lines out for now and running my IC lines in place there. I am also scratching my head for a good place and a cheaper way of adding in a radiator for my heat exchanger for my Intercooler. I don't have the lines setup yet from the swap for a compressor and the system unfortunately is open to atmosphere, so....Thinking in order to make the ac system work later on I am going to have to do some decent work in order to make sure it is up to par. I was thinking about taking out the condenser and lines, also because they are not used now anyways, and putting the radiator in its place.
I mean it makes sense in my mind, but seeing what I need to learn in order to make this work and what others have found to be easiest and work. Thanks for any ideas and or advice in advance.

Phil
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frozen Boost makes an exchanger that fits perfectly in place of the condenser, I used two of the larger diameter under car A/C lines to connect front and rear........
Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah I have been reading and looking at most all forum write ups on how people have done them and I was also just looking under the car and saw that directly behind the air openings there are the bumper support hard plastic pieces, there are two of the supports in the middle spaced out about a foot that go to the bumper beam. There are then two on the outside of the bumper as well that are closer to the corners. Any modifying to those in order to bolt a radiator straight to the steal beam vertically in the middle ?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No air flows through the opening in the front of the aero nose...its more for looks than anything.
The radiator gets airflow from under the car, in front of the rubber air dam.
The heat exchanger I mentioned fits in front of the radiator and replaces the a/c condensor.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have done several IC swaps..Use copper lines under the car or rubber if u prefer. I have installed HEs with condenser still in and have used mostly Cobra HEs which fit fine. If removing the condenser then u can fit a much larger HE in its place.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Use copper lines under the car or rubber if u prefer. I have installed HEs with condenser still in and have used mostly Cobra HEs which fit fine. If removing the condenser then u can fit a much larger HE in its place.

^^^^
Yeah...what he said... + these are some info on the Frozen boost HE. It seems like it is the best one out there.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-118097.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092629.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000113-3.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123943.html
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

No air flows through the opening in the front of the aero nose...its more for looks than anything.
The radiator gets airflow from under the car, in front of the rubber air dam.
The heat exchanger I mentioned fits in front of the radiator and replaces the a/c condensor.

I don't know how true that is considering the bulk of my heat exchanger sits in about that location behind the front fascia and does an excellent job of keeping inlet temps down. I haven't posted anymore screen shots of data but now boost levels are much higher than what I posted in my thread and now occasionally reach 17 psi. Good coolant flow, volume and location of the heat exchanger should keep temps close to 10 deg above ambient and limit the rate of temp increase under boost considerably as well as bring the temps back down quickly.

I would be concerned about the efficiency of a large flat exchanger similar to the condenser sitting at an angle close to the radiator both of which depend a good bit on air being moved by the cooling fan partly due to the air stream blockage at the upper portion.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its very true.....the aero nose is a bottom breather. The bumperpad and 87/88 coupe noses are closed off underneath and breathe thru the fascia. The point of the airdam under the nose is to create a low pressure area behind the radiator.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-26-2014).]

Ponti88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ponti88GTSend a Private Message to Ponti88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome. I am glad that I wrote on here about the idea for behind the bumper, I knew about the airflow being forced below the car, but good to have it confirmed. I know that I am going the route of mounting a HE in place of or in front of the AC condenser. Now for just thirty bucks more the 3.5 depth has no problem with clearance in front of the condenser? Thanks for the input and all comments helped. Oh and also, I forgot the mention this was my exact setup that I have been running on my gtp for years now for the motor and IC etc. It was and still is my daily driver, just back to a more stock setup. The radiator size that I had before was a 26x12x2 in core. Does anyone know if there is much difference between the core depth of 2 inch to the 3.5 inch as far as temps and cooling go?

Phil

[This message has been edited by Ponti88GT (edited 03-26-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock