Engine toasted by Mr.Goodwrench
Started on: 03-24-2014 03:27 PM
Replies: 10 (229 views)
Last post by: StreetRod4 on 03-24-2014 09:38 PM
Mr.Goodwrench

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent time last summer swapping my 2.5 for a 2.8. Did good for a few months. Then overheated. Coolant was was low. No sign of leak or any in oil. Let her cool off. Topped it off and drove home. Then found this time coolant did fill crank case. Redid headgaskets and found very hard to crank over. Finally got it to start but had to keep foot on gas to stay running. Then she started knocking.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles were on the 2.8 you swapped in and how did it look inside the valve covers, any dark oil or sludge deposits?
Mr.Goodwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

How many miles were on the 2.8 you swapped in and how did it look inside the valve covers, any dark oil or sludge deposits?

It had around 80k it was full of chocolate milkshake sludge. I should just towed it home
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch.
Mr.Goodwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to decided. 3400 or 3800 swap. Can't find a local 3.4
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on how much $ and work you're up for. the 3.4 Iron head swap is as cheap as you can do. The 3800SC Is Nice, I've done them both. If you're Not "up to" ALOT of work, and a few thousand dollars on parts, the 3.4 iron head is definitely ALOT Cheaper And Easier !
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a 2004 Venture Van with a 3400 in it and I am surprised about how much power it has. Is that engine a direct fit into the Fiero?
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You want a 94-95 3.4 like you would find in a Camaro/ Firebird. Call your local wrecking yard and see if they have any in stock.
Mr.Goodwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the 3400 can I keep distributor or do I have to change to dis?

[This message has been edited by Mr.Goodwrench (edited 03-24-2014).]

Mr.Goodwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr.Goodwrench

315 posts
Member since Mar 2008

Originally posted by BrittB:

You want a 94-95 3.4 like you would find in a Camaro/ Firebird. Call your local wrecking yard and see if they have any in stock.

None available locally
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.Goodwrench:

With the 3400 can I keep distributor or do I have to change to dis?

DIS but the 3400 has many improvements like being aluminum and has decent aftermarked support
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock