Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '88 4-cyl garaged for 6 years - advice on starting it again (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
'88 4-cyl garaged for 6 years - advice on starting it again by LZeitgeist
Started on: 03-23-2014 11:15 AM
Replies: 48 (1020 views)
Last post by: Alex.07.86GT on 09-14-2014 06:30 PM
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

That's awesome! But you were looking for someone else to do the clutch. Just wondering. Did shops turn you down? Back in 2000 or so when I wanted to have mine done (I worked 7 days a week) a shop would not touch it. I ended up doing it myself. I supported the engine, dropped the cradle and transmission (cradle thing is another story...damn rear bolts!) clutch in and was good to go. Damn I wish this forum was as big as it is now. Back then we were kinda flying blind on this stuff. Never thought about taking pics at the time.

I was looking at having it done just for the simplicity of it - the shop that put the reman engine in my Formula quoted me $1100 to replace the clutch in the Coupe.

I've done Fiero clutches before so it's not a huge deal, but at least now I know I'll be saving close to a grand by doing it myself...

IP: Logged
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, just ordered a clutch set w/throwout bearing and a couple of axle shaft seals from Rock Auto... soon it will be time to get dirty.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone'
(soon to be back on the road after a 6 year rest)

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It'S ALIVE!

Got the clutch in a couple weekends ago with Formula88's help - bled the hydraulics and could no longer move the clutch pedal. Discovered the slave cylinder was a solid mass of rust. So, I ordered Rodney Dickman's new dual-seal slave and dosed the hydraulic line fitting with a daily shot of PB Blaster while I waited for its arrival, which was yesterday...

This morning, got up, swapped in the new Rodney slave, bled the system - still being up on jackstands, I started her up and gently let the clutch out... we have smooth movement and no strange noises... shifted into reverse, same thing... next I added the replacement emergency brake lever it needed, took her off the jackstands and onto the new tires for the first time.

More shortly...
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Moved the wife's car out of the way, opened the garage, starter her up, tested the brakes and tentatively pulled out of the garage... stopped long enough for the Mrs. to take a couple pics and for Formua88 to get in the copilot's seat.

(Cue the 'Leaving Drydock' theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture)

Checked for traffic, pulled into the street and off we go!

Still need to swap the steering wheel to enable the horn, rebuild one of the headlight motors, get a third brakelight bulb (and others) and figure out why the backup lights aren't working - then I can get it inspected and get a licence plate for it and get it back on the road.

I'm afraid to tally up the list... but I'll do so soon anyway.

Thanks to all for the advice along the way... and thanks to Formula88 for all the assistance, patience, help, muscle and elbow grease.

------------------

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Let's see...

2nd set of jackstands

Fuel pump, in-tank pickup filter and inline fuel filter

Fuel system degunker stuff

Oil & oil filter

Battery

Tires plus mounting/balancing

Clutch kit and throwout bearing; axle seals

Replacement belt

Rodney Dickman slave cylinder

(Plus steering column, steering wheel puller, emergency brake handle, various bulbs, headlight motor rebuild kit and new Rodney Dickman shift cable to replace the OEM shift cable that failed, causing the remainder of the clutch to be ruined in getting the car home, the failure of which caused the car to sit for 6 years).

Ouch.

------------------

jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am buying a 60k 84 that was parked running 7 years ago and has been in the texas sun since. About three a@ years ago someone looked at it and said it was seized.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

(Cue the 'Leaving Drydock' theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture)

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Got an '88 4-cyl Coupe, all stock.

Parked it in the garage due to a worn-out clutch. Was starting and running fine when it was parked. Planned to replace the clutch and keep on driving it, so didn't do anything towards long-term storage of the car or the fuel system.

That was 6 years ago.

I need to get this thing running again. I'd like to get it started and running before I bother doing the clutch job. Going to put it on jackstands because the tires are not trustworthy. Has about a half-tank of gas in it.

Questions - do I have to drop the tank and get rid of the old gas before trying to start it, or can I add some sort of chemical stabilizer or high-octane fuel to mix with what's in the tank? Replace fuel filter first?

I can think of a lot of things I *might* have to do, but really don't have the time or energy to do more than what is neccesary. Just don't want to screw things up trying to get it running again because it always ran great before it sat for so long.

Learned, experience advice is welcome and requested. Thanks in advance!

mine was stored for 21yrs. I just started to get it going again too!

so you know you need a good battery. low voltage can damage things

I checked all the fluids -topped off

I made sure my water didnt mix with engine oil from a freeze condition.

you have to dump the gas. I wouldnt recommend running it through the pump, filter & fuel lines. but you could try.

Whats in the tank exactly??? maybe drop it and see.

when you go to start it, pull off the distributor power connector so it doesnt start. this way you can crank it several times to pump the oil to the top of your engine.

if you change the oil & filter: *remember, you need an oil recommend for an engine with hydraulic lifters!

Check the catalytic converter that its clear of anything flammable.

have a fire extinguisher handy in case a fuel line is bad.

good luck!!
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alex.07.86GT

248 posts
Member since Aug 2014

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Well ok, now I'm a little confused. Considering your experience, I suspect your guess is as good as anyone's whether it'll run or not. It ran fine before; why not now?

***Old gas does a lot of harm! This is why!

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-14-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock