Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What is the hose behind the air cleaner?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is the hose behind the air cleaner? by spacecaps
Started on: 03-22-2014 10:37 PM
Replies: 5 (232 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 03-23-2014 08:29 PM
spacecaps

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spacecapsSend a Private Message to spacecapsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So today I discovered my '86 Fiero has a hose in the engine compartment that connects to nothing on both ends. I can't figure out why its there where it's supposed to go. It starts (or ends) on the side and just below the air cleaner canister, ducks under there to run along the firewall (where it's mounted) and then hangs out behind the middle of the back of the engine. It isn't hooked up to anything on either end nor is there any place to hook it up to. Any idea what this may be?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ag9123

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the Ogre's cave recall tab.. The hose you're taking about is not used if the recall has been done ( the hose was rerouted from the airbox to the airboot I believe)
Here's the link:

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/recall.htm

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I have the same thing on my 85 GT, I was told it used to be the pcv hose until the recall changed it to the front.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is correct. That hose is no longer used. I removed mine when I cleaned up my engine compartment
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In CA the smog-droid will look at the open 0.75" metal line and give you a bad time. I don't know about other states...

Unfortunately, firmly attached to that larger line is a smaller (1/8"?) line that goes from the firewall end of the EGR solenoid (there's a nipple there) to a similar nipple on the cold air intake system. Removing the larger line by itself is not practical.

The 1/8" line could be replaced by any rubber certified for engine compartments, and can be tied down using the same attachment points as held down the original plumbing. I took the easy way out.

On my '88GT I removed the bolts holding both lines to the firewall, cut the 1/8" line, and yanked. There's now an open-cell foam cover on that EGR solenoid nipple, and both taps at the air cleaner end are sealed. It passed CA smog that way...
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On both my 86's, the nipple on the air cleaner canister that used to connect to that metal line was left OPEN when the recall modifications were made. Essentially leaving a 3/4" opening for un-filtered air to enter the engine. It's a good thing to check when buying a V6 car...

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: