3800 Exhaust Heat Sheilds by don297
Started on: 03-22-2014 12:18 PM
Replies: 5 (820 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 03-25-2014 08:01 PM
don297

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering if I need to get exhaust manifoldheat sheilds for my 3800. It had them when I bought it but they were in bad shape, so I threw them out. Do I really need them or can I run the exhaust fine without the heat sheilds?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heat shields are put in place to shield radiant heat, since they do nothing for underhood temperatures, no problem not running them, but keep wires and things further away and insulated.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to add a heat shield over my 3800 SC muffler because it was starting to melt the back of the trunk carpet. There are times where a heat shield is essential.

Nelson
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same as Nelson. i had to add heat shielding. It was way too hot without shields. I too added muffler wrap also.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by don297:

I'm wondering if I need to get exhaust manifoldheat sheilds for my 3800. It had them when I bought it but they were in bad shape, so I threw them out. Do I really need them or can I run the exhaust fine without the heat sheilds?

W-body 3800 cars (Impala, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Regal, etc) will have the heat shields. C/H/G body cars will not (at least I've never seen them on one of these cars).

FYI the front cast iron exhaust manifolds are the same for all 3800 equipped FWD cars. The rear tubular steel manifold is different. W-bodies are different than what was used in the C/H/G body cars.

Also important to note that GM changed the way the heat shields were held onto the manifolds on Series 3 engines. So a set of Series 3 heat shields may not work on Series 2 manifolds.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Same as Nelson. i had to add heat shielding. It was way too hot without shields. I too added muffler wrap also.

My car didnt have a sheild so I wrapped the exhuast and installed several layers of themo padding inside the trunk. Still gets warm!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock