84 lack of power found by Fadingaway
Started on: 03-21-2014 07:55 PM
Replies: 5 (342 views)
Last post by: mckaymotoworks on 03-24-2014 03:27 PM
Fadingaway

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My front brake calipers were so seized up the car had the hardest time in 3rd gear moving with traffic I changed one caliper because they had it in stock and its so much better!! This whole time I was suspecting something was wrong with the motor and it was just calipers I can finally drive her safely!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't the wheels get hot? Check the rubber hoses for internal swelling also.
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never drove the car long enough to know if they were until today I took it to the store and when I parked it they were smoking like a chimney when you were stopped the smell of brakes filled the air
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get that other caliper and both hoses replaced. Also clean, inspect and repack those wheel bearings. That kind of heat will destroy or severely weaken the seal and boot in the caliper, the brake hose, the grease seal on the bearing and will thin the grease out and damage the bearings. Give the rotors a good look, too. The heat may have damaged them as well.

Use an abundance of caution here. These are old parts abd brakes are pretty important.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to guess that the problem was a lack of cylinders. Just kidding, I couldn't resist. I've owned four, six, and eight cylinder Fieros.
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This exact issue just happened to me a few weeks ago. Caliper seals blew as well as brake hose, rotor caught on fire fueled by brake fluid, lost my brakes and luckily there wasn't much traffic on the bypass, and I had watered down coolant to douse the fire before it did any real damage.

Follow the above recommendations to a T

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock