Raising the driver seat by notaguru
Started on: 03-20-2014 06:58 PM
Replies: 11 (581 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-23-2014 10:57 AM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've decided that the seat MUST come up. I'm 5'7"...

Proposed solution is to cut four sections of heavy steel U-channel, then drill appropriately. I should be able to get 2.5" elevation with that. I also plan to remove the seat cover (a big job?) and insert some 1" closed cell foam.

Is there a better way?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spcearle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about using seat tracks from a f-body.... I know power tracks would deff raise it up and tracks that come on early 4th gen transam seats have front tilt and the rears are higher
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spcearle:

What about using seat tracks from a f-body.... I know power tracks would deff raise it up and tracks that come on early 4th gen transam seats have front tilt and the rears are higher

That would be the most elegant solution. I can easily get fused power to the new seat mechanism, but don't know where the controls would go. Tell me what years/models might work and I'll visit the pick 'n pull this weekend. With my son, who provides the muscles...
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sit on a cushion / pillow.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

spcearle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know all 93-02 camaros had power seats as an option and I believe 96-02 firebirds were the same track.... When I was going to to these tracks in my fiero I was just gonna tuck the switch on the right side of the seat by the seatbelt.... The 93-96 firebirds that had lumbar had manual tracks that also had a front tilt.... If you could get your hands on that track you could get the lift front and back without dealing with with electrical wiring and switches.... I'm not sure how tracks are on non electric seats
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great.
My son and I will get to the boneyard this weekend, and find the best assembly for this seat. That will be better than just blocking up the track - maybe safer, too.

Thanks!
spcearle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you really like the fiero seats or are trying to keep the car stock looking now would be a great time to upgrade unless finance doesn't permit.... I went from fiero to camaro leather and was great... Then I upgraded to 94 transam( leather with big headrest and lumbar) and they are a huge improvement... Much more comfortable and a lot more support
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is your driving position in the car? I'm 5'7" and the Fiero seat is near perfect for me. When I drive mine or another Fiero I flip the seat back forward a bit, move the seat all the way back, then flip the seat back all the way. Then pull the seat forward five inches, and then move the seat back all the way back but up one click. This allows me to operate all three pedals and the shift lever without shifting my body, and bends my knees and arms about 130 degrees. The only issue I tend to have in my GT is blind spots by the fastback windows, but I put concave mirrors on the far edges of the side mirrors to help with that.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BMW 5 series seats fit pretty well and they are about 2" taller. I had to cut the the mounting chassis off a set to go in my Fiero because I wanted the seat a little lower.

For raising the seats you just need a spacer at the floor bolts. 2'x2" box steel works pretty well, as for C channel you'd want the thick walled stuff.

I think 4 spacers would be just fine in the safety department.

Arn
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's possible that these seats were lowered somehow by a PO. I'm not only 5'7" but am old, and with no grab handle it's not easy getting in and out. As a trial, I added a couple of gardening cushions to raise the sitting position by 3", and it was much easier.

The four blocks of steel U-channel elevates the seat assembly enough to create a useful storage compartment, too.

The interior is original Fiero leather, and it's in perfect shape. I plan to keep it but will always be on the lookout for something better.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C4 seats also fit and sit a bit higher than the Fiero seats. I have then in one of the Meras and like them but a powered Corvette seat would be even better. Due to my height, I would have difficulty using powered seats in a Fiero but like the adjustability that they provide.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A cheap solution like we used to do to even raise or lower a car, and easily done to seats is to cut some hardwood blocks to place underneath the seat, put holes thru them and use longer bolts to set it where you want it. You could put them under the seat rails to the floor, or between the seat frame and rails...or both. On custom vans, we used what was called 'bell' washers that were metal washers with a bell shape and longer bolts. I dont think they would be long enough for what you need though unless you did them in pairs. One under the rails, and another under the seat frame itself on each corner. Theyre about 1 1/2" high. You could probably find some at the pick n pull in some conversion vans.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock