GLASS OR METAL by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 03-20-2014 05:24 PM
Replies: 8 (319 views)
Last post by: RPYRAZOO on 03-22-2014 06:07 PM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on purchasing a 3rd. rear deck vent and was wondering if a fiberglass piece would be superior to a metal one. My concern is any conflict of a metal piece intagrating on to the stock deck composit.
As always, thanks for any input.
Rich
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It depends on the metal piece. If it is installed using mechanical fasteners it will be fine....(assuming it looks OK I mean) Don't try to use fiberglass resin or epoxy to hold a metal vent, as they have different expansion rates due to temperature, and the joint will always crack after a while.
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall: Thanks. Rather than buying a pre-fab vent, I was thinking of cutting and "splicing" 2 stock GT deck grills into a rectangle, that way rainwater won't be an issue and the louvers would match, like "SKI'S". Any thoughts?
Rich
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why don't you get an 84 decklid with the center vent? Looks pretty good with all 3 on one car.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you mold a metal vent to the deck lid, it will definately crack sooner or later. It gets hot and like mentioned, you have wayy different expansion rates. Just finding an 84 decklid is a great idea.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RPYRAZOO:

Gall: Thanks. Rather than buying a pre-fab vent, I was thinking of cutting and "splicing" 2 stock GT deck grills into a rectangle, that way rainwater won't be an issue and the louvers would match, like "SKI'S". Any thoughts?
Rich

Do you mean Skitime? Well.....My idea of an 84 decklid won't work on a GT. And Skitime was the quality standard when you talk about what you can do to a Fiero. It looks like he built a separate metal assembly and fit into a hole in the center of the decklid. It is probably described in his build thread...(find it in the Construction Zone)....and you could do it that way too. Allow for expansion by making the hole in the deck lid larger than the metal assembly, and attach with fasteners, not glue. the deck lid will have to be re-worked to get enough material to support the vent.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-21-2014).]

RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"My" idea came after I was searching for pictures of 3rd. vented cars and saw SKITIME's masterpiece. Not wanting to spend an excessive amount for the mod., but wanting something professional and attractive, I thought I'd throw it out to the Forum for ideas. The body work won't pose a problem, as I've found a competant person to do the work.
I'm still concerned with the rain water issue, being that the grill placement will be over the engine. My plan to use an '84 grill was dismissed when I discovered the design difference in that piece and the vents on later models, such as my '87 GT.
So, the search continues for an aftermarket vent. If anyone finds a suitable substitute, please let this reader and all of us, know.
Thanks all for the input.
Rich
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do know that water soaks the engine bay anytime you drive in the rain anyway, right. It comes in with the air from the bottom. It would still be soaked if you didnt have any vents at all in the top. It also pours in thru all the seams at the back window and quarter panels.
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger: You've made my quest much easier, thanks.
rich

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock