Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '86 - '88 GT style Engine Vents ~ Magnesium or Aluminum?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'86 - '88 GT style Engine Vents ~ Magnesium or Aluminum? by a_bartle
Started on: 03-20-2014 08:24 AM
Replies: 16 (566 views)
Last post by: raysr11 on 03-25-2014 11:54 PM
a_bartle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been told both, but what are they? I've researched this on the forum, some say only magnesium used was on the early '84 models with the center vent, but others maintain that even the GT vents are magnesium? I have a couple sets of engine vents at a powder coater right now (second go around) and I told him they were aluminum. He's working at stripping them now (removing the powder coat from the former botched job) and he's got some of them down to bare metal, and told me they are magnesium. How can you tell for sure, and how does it (the difference in the two materials) affect the powder coating process?

[This message has been edited by a_bartle (edited 03-20-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changed to aluminum sometime during 85 model year.
They are both cast metals, cleaning and baking methods should be very similar. If not cleaned properly, blistering is possible.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
File some off and make a torch. If it burns, it's magnesium. If it just melts, it's aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/wat...&v=ld0avgML6uc#t=567
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regarding 86-88 GT vents, I believe that the answer would be "stamped" for all fastback vents, and they were NOT made of magnesium. They never cast the 86-88 GT versions. That said, on the notchbacks they of course DID cast the '84 Center Style in Magnesium- won an engineering award for use of magnesium as many here know- and then cast at least the '85 through I believe part of '86 vents in a material other than magnesium. Then those ended up stamped as well- the later vents on some '86 and all '87-'88 notchback are much lighter weight and flimsier than the '85's for example. They also changed the "screen" underneath the vents from a cool hexagonal pattern in '85 to the crappier slotted pieces for '86-'88 vents. I can't tell you precisely WHEN they changed over, but they did.

IF anyone has information contrary to what I've posted though PLEASE do throw it out here, as I'd like to know!!

-Gary

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 03-20-2014).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the fastback vents were stamped, but I stripped a set and they are cast aluminum.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-20-2014).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

Regarding 86-88 GT vents, I believe that the answer would be "stamped" for all fastback vents, and they were NOT made of magnesium. They never cast the 86-88 GT versions. That said, on the notchbacks they of course DID cast the '84 Center Style in Magnesium- won an engineering award for use of magnesium as many here know- and then cast at least the '85 through I believe part of '86 vents in a material other than magnesium. Then those ended up stamped as well- the later vents on some '86 and all '87-'88 notchback are much lighter weight and flimsier than the '85's for example. They also changed the "screen" underneath the vents from a cool hexagonal pattern in '85 to the crappier slotted pieces for '86-'88 vents. I can't tell you precisely WHEN they changed over, but they did.

IF anyone has information contrary to what I've posted though PLEASE do throw it out here, as I'd like to know!!

-Gary

Gets asked from time to time,
The quick answer is if its the large grill in the decklid itself (1984 model only) Yep magnesium......

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I thought the fastback vents were stamped, but I stripped a set and they are cast aluminum.

Wow. They are awfully dang thin and lightweight to be cast. Interesting. I wonder if they varied at all?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really....thin wall castings are used in a lot of applications.
I have years of industrial casting and finishing experience, I have to say that I was impressed and surprised after a seeing the stripped vents.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a set for sale
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you light one and can weld under water, they are magnesium.

Jim
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
they are magnesium, at least on my '85. I had to clearance one of mine and got the **** scared out of me when a spark caused the ground in front of me to burst into flames.

------------------
1st class A**hole.

we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 03-22-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think they changed to aluminum in 85. I have seen two similar notchie vents. One was very light. One was heavy enough to be used as a weapon.
Fastback vents are cast. I believe, aluminum.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I think they changed to aluminum in 85. I have seen two similar notchie vents. One was very light. One was heavy enough to be used as a weapon.
Fastback vents are cast. I believe, aluminum.

I'd never heard of anything but the '84 center grill being magnesium. It seems people here are stating that at least some of the '85 vents are also cast magnesium?

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 03-24-2014).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFanatic13

3521 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by ericjon262:

they are magnesium, at least on my '85. I had to clearance one of mine and got the **** scared out of me when a spark caused the ground in front of me to burst into flames.

Magnesium doesn't "Burn" until around 900 degrees Fahrenheit from everything I've seen...Though I suppose you are suggesting that the "powder" from your grinding maybe lit up?

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 03-24-2014).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

Magnesium doesn't "Burn" until around 900 degrees Fahrenheit from everything I've seen...Though I suppose you are suggesting that the "powder" from your grinding maybe lit up?

the powder lit off when a spark from a piece of steel landed on it. with the same characteristics of burning magnesium. and before you say thermite, there wasn't a large enough concentration of steel/iron in the area.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 03-24-2014).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

the powder lit off when a spark from a piece of steel landed on it. with the same characteristics of burning magnesium. and before you say thermite, there wasn't a large enough concentration of steel/iron in the area.

Interesting. I bet that did scare the crap out of you!
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are magnesium. You can't weld them, they burn up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock