88 lugggage rack removal ? by indyguy888
Started on: 03-20-2014 01:16 AM
Replies: 7 (146 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 03-21-2014 07:46 PM
indyguy888

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for indyguy888Send a Private Message to indyguy888Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 trunk with the luggage rack on it. Any suggestions on the best way to remove it for painting ? It appears to be riveted in. I was expecting to see them screwed on with nuts on the inside of the trunk. I would rather remove them for painting. The trunk will be red and the rails black. I hate to mask each thing off twice. Any info is greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe you just pry the rubber inserts out and it's screwed in from the top. If it's rivited, just drill them out and rerivit it or bolt it back on
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup, pry out black strips and unbolt... no rivets from what I remember.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just took the one on my 84 off for painting. Like the others say, carefully pry the rubber strips off and underneath are phillips head screws, take them out and the of the rack not connected to the spoiler part of the rack will lift off. There are two bolts under the deck lid to hold the spoiler part on. Take those off and the spoiler and the connected ribs will come off. I don't know how the ribs come off the spoiler piece and as I got that far without breaking anything. I left them all as one piece.
Vanet

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanetSend a Private Message to VanetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have mine off, But I was wondering about getting rid of the holes. I have done lots of bodywork, but none on the Fiero plastic, how do I go about filling the holes? I was thinking about glueing a piece of metal to the back, and then filling with flexible filler, but then the underside would look terrible. Any one with some tips? Thanks Van
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vanet:

I have mine off, But I was wondering about getting rid of the holes. I have done lots of bodywork, but none on the Fiero plastic, how do I go about filling the holes? I was thinking about glueing a piece of metal to the back, and then filling with flexible filler, but then the underside would look terrible. Any one with some tips? Thanks Van

You would probably be better off looking for a replacement decklid.

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X2 on the replacement. I tried to have mine filled and it was a long expensive process I wish I never did.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vanet:

Plastic welder? Don't know, never used one but I'm in search of a need to buy one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock