Air Compressor Size ? by fierogtlt1
Started on: 03-19-2014 09:41 PM
Replies: 8 (214 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 03-22-2014 01:53 PM
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the minimum size of air compressor that I could get to use
for painting a car?It's because I have limited space and no garage.I
just have a shed in my back yard and a driveway,so space is at a premium.Thank You.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not really the size you need is the CFMS it puts out. I believe you need at least a 10 to 12 CFMs and at least a 60 gallon tank. You can get buy with less, but you will have shorter spray times.
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
depends on the guns air pressure and use, if you are using one that needs 50 lbs or more constant pressure that consumes X amount of air you need a compressor capable of keeping that, I had a friend who got away with a small 20 or 30 gallon tank and painted entire cars with that. he would just spray one tank of paint from his gun and by the time he had mixed and filled the next container it had built up enough pressure to spray that.

Just make sure you get a good dryer and some of those disposable water filters for your guns air supply or you will end up with fish eyes in your paint job.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go with an upright. You can get a big enough compressor in a tight space that way.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep an I eye on the power requirements. I don't suppose you have 220V in the shed...

Bob
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do yourself a favor and get a belt driven compressor and don't go oil-less. They don't last, over heat and harder to get parts for.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more down side to oil less, NOISE! Damn those things are loud.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Rule of thumb" for Compressors: Always Get "The biggest" you can possibly AFFORD" ! anything" less" than a 60 gal - 6 HP, is pretty much a waste", and you will be sorry you didn't spring for a 7HP- 80 Gal. I've got 2- 60 gallon tanks" hooked together"r with 2- 6 HP Motors and twin compressors.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
you can often find compressors that (like woodworking, or cabinet shops) had been using and when the motors gave up, they junk them. I got 2- 60 gallon tanks w/compressors and bad 5 HP motors for nothing ($0) ! It cost me about $200 "per" for brand new 6 HP motors. keep an eye out, you may get lucky.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock