Restoring my upper rear frame rails by chucks85fastback
Started on: 03-18-2014 11:21 AM
Replies: 16 (702 views)
Last post by: chucks85fastback on 07-15-2014 07:50 PM
chucks85fastback

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chucks85fastbackClick Here to visit chucks85fastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to chucks85fastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of replacing my rear frame rails and I rea this thread, https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-068409.html . Rubyredfiero used 2x2x.070 tubing. The closest I can find is 2x2x.083 or 2x2x.065. Which would be better/does that small of a difference even matter?

------------------
http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=169555

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is more information for you.

frame rail fabrication
JunkCollector

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JunkCollectorSend a Private Message to JunkCollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My drivers side was ok but my passengers was rotted over the rear wheel. I ended up buying a frame section from Fgt1988 here on the forum who was parting out a car. He cut me a perfect repair piece which will let me make a pretty much factory repair. Nicer looking than a fabbed repair and probably stronger as well. Plus makes use of rust free parts that might otherwise go to scrap.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JunkCollector:

My drivers side was ok but my passengers was rotted over the rear wheel. I ended up buying a frame section from Fgt1988 here on the forum who was parting out a car. He cut me a perfect repair piece which will let me make a pretty much factory repair. Nicer looking than a fabbed repair and probably stronger as well. Plus makes use of rust free parts that might otherwise go to scrap.

chucks85fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chucks85fastbackClick Here to visit chucks85fastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to chucks85fastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both of my sides are pretty rusted. Thanks for that link, I was trying to find that thread. Anyone know a good place to get steel?
chucks85fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chucks85fastbackClick Here to visit chucks85fastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to chucks85fastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So five months later.... the progress has been slow but steady. I've got both of the new rails welded in and patched up the trunk corners. All that's I have to do is give everything a coat of POR-15 and that pink stuff. Anyone know what it is? It looks like brushed on caulk. Im assuming they used it at the factory to seal seams in the sheet metal.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's called seam sealer. Any good auto parts store will have it in tubes for a caulking gun.
chucks85fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chucks85fastbackClick Here to visit chucks85fastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to chucks85fastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easy enough to remember, Thanks
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never did see the answer for where to buy the stock to make new rails.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rubyredfiero fabricates them. Send him a pm. He is in Ontario
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Rubyredfiero fabricates them. Send him a pm. He is in Ontario

Awesome, thanks!

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my steel from an independent shop called Actron Steel. Most larger town probably have a place.

I also had a whole thread on the process:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121544.html
chucks85fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chucks85fastbackClick Here to visit chucks85fastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to chucks85fastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up finding the steel for mine at Logan Steel in Meriden, CT. they sell it by the pound, cost like $20 or something.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chucks85fastback:

So five months later.... the progress has been slow but steady. I've got both of the new rails welded in and patched up the trunk corners. All that's I have to do is give everything a coat of POR-15 and that pink stuff. Anyone know what it is? It looks like brushed on caulk. Im assuming they used it at the factory to seal seams in the sheet metal.

Please tell me you can weld? And not something like some members here do that looks like hen Sh!t on a pump handle ! I have seen some of the members who were self taught and posted pictures of their welds that just plain SCARE me ! Post some pictures of your work so we can see just how good a job you did.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

chucks85fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chucks85fastbackClick Here to visit chucks85fastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to chucks85fastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I unfortunatly dont know how to weld well at all. But I am fortunate enough to have a good friend who does and has been willing to help me as long as i provide some beers.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chucks85fastback:

I unfortunatly dont know how to weld well at all. But I am fortunate enough to have a good friend who does and has been willing to help me as long as i provide some beers.

Glad to hear that ! I used to work for beer sometimes, now unfortunately I am only allowed 3 a week so I now work for weed !

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-15-2014).]

chucks85fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chucks85fastbackClick Here to visit chucks85fastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to chucks85fastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's some photos for ya, sorry theyre so big.

Origional rails:

Some welds on the new rail:

New rail in place:

New trunk sheet metal:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay