best rust stop spray by Csjag
Started on: 03-16-2014 09:52 PM
Replies: 11 (395 views)
Last post by: weaselbeak on 03-17-2014 11:02 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the best thing to spray on brake lines, tranny lines etc., that have surface rust on them? Is there any type of oil or coating used for this purpose?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1986Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FieroSend a Private Message to 1986FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cheapest, cleanest and easiest way out is to sand the surface rust off as best as possible and get some brush on paint. The hard way out is to change the lines to stainless.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aren't the coolant tubes and the entire exhaust stainless steel? Don't they show surface rust? Some steels are classified as "weathering" and will form a layer of rust on the surface that actually PROTECTS the core from further oxidation. Not sure if that is what the brake lines are doing but it is something to look into.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Aren't the coolant tubes and the entire exhaust stainless steel? Don't they show surface rust? Some steels are classified as "weathering" and will form a layer of rust on the surface that actually PROTECTS the core from further oxidation. Not sure if that is what the brake lines are doing but it is something to look into.

Brake and tranny lines are not stainless.

There are rust converting sprays, which will help, but surface rust is not bad... when you have flaking brake lines, then those need to be taken care of
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The thing about the rust converting sprays is that you have to get all of the surface completely penetrated. If you don't, the spray can become a trap holding in moisture that gets through the parts the spray missed. I think the best solution is to convert to SS lines. I used the Fiero Store lines and have been very pleased with them. Brake lines are a place not to scrimp.

------------------
woodys 427

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talking to a guy that has a Mercedes Benz repair shop told me LPS 3 is the best. Best is to spray it on every so many weeks. Every fresh coat attracts dust which in turn holds more LPS 3. Once you get several layers on it provides a very moisture resistant coating.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rodney, sounds like what I am looking for.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5 have you used that product?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

2.5 have you used that product?

I have, I like it. With any of these results depend on how rusty it is to begin with. I was looking for something I could spray on before winter on my daily drivers which see alot of road salt. It "neutralizes" the rust that it touches and leaves a coating that blocks the water and salt. Its very hard to measure how much it "neutralizes". I mean I only have a visual and non failure of something like a brake line for example. But it seems to work well. I reapply some each fall in areas that look like they could use another shot.

Its an alternative to blasting the part or wire wheeling it, rust converting priming and painting with expensive sealing paint. Which in the road salt never seems to last very long anyway. Or replacing parts. I did the entire floor pan and many frame parts of my Sonoma, also popped out the drain plugs in the rockers and sprayed it in there and then put the plugs back on. I reached up and sprayed it on on teh backside of the rear wheel wells behind the outer bed-side, took out the tail lights and blasted it in there onto the wheel well and bedsides too. The truck had rust in areas when i got it, I'm just trying to slow it down.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5 it sounds like it will work for what I want. I just bought an 04 Chevy Venture van from Ormond Beach Fl. and some of the undercarriage is rusty, probably from driving on the beach. Thanks for the info
PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use regular old Rust Reformer black spray paint from Wally World and it seems to work just fine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock