Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is this correct Procedure to R&R 87 Front Crossmember?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is this correct Procedure to R&R 87 Front Crossmember? by solotwo
Started on: 03-16-2014 09:13 PM
Replies: 1 (270 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 03-17-2014 08:26 AM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In reading some of the threads I found in search, I think I have an idea as to the procedure. I think I will be doing this soon.

!.) Remove the front tub. In my case remove items in the tub such as battery, detach cables from tub.
2.) Remove bolt hold steering shaft to rack. Remove bolts on clamp holding brake lines. Remove bolts in clamp for coolant tubes if accessible.
3.) Jack up car and put safety stands under sub frame. Remove front tire/wheels
4.) Unbolt calipers and and hang them out of the way.
5.) Unbolt front tie rod ends and try not to turn them.
6.) Unbolt shock at the Lower Control Arm
7.) Unbolt the front sway bar from LCA
Some say at this point to unbolt the rack. I am thinking that I will leave it on and remove it when I have the crossmember off the car
8.) Jack up the lower control arm and unbolt the lower ball joint and remove spring.
Some say to remove the upper ball joint, but I am thinking just leave the knuckle on the UCA. Yes?
9.) Remove the Lower Control Arm bolts.
10.) Some have said to remove the Upper Control Arm bolts. Then put them back in to 2 or 3 turns to support the crossmember when you remove the lower ones. Not sure about this? Doesn't make sense to me.
11.) Remove the bolts from the front brackets for the front fascia from the front crossmember.
If bolts to coolant clamp not accessible from tub now is the time to remove them.
12.) Put jack under the crossmember to support it.
13.) Remove the upper 3 bolts on top of the spring perch
14.) Remove the lower 4 bolts that attach the crossmember to the frame. One thread mentioned to remove 2 bolts? Sounds like a short cut to save time?
15.) Lower crossmember and remove unit from under car.

Reverse procedure to install.

Get front end alignment.

So how does this sound?

Now for you Fiero owners in the Metro Grand Rapids area. Where would you suggest to take the car for an alignment in Grand Rapids, MI? In the past I found two but one didn't do it correctly, they were on division south of 54th and the other was just north of 68th and said he wouldn't do a Fiero again.

Thanks,

Steve W.
Grand Rapids, MI
87 GT

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 03-16-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The write-ups pretty well covers it. If dropping the rack with the cross member, you may want to d op the steering column to help get the rack and steering shaft to separate without binding.
Also, the right front brake line attaches to the front face of the spare tire well.
Good luck with your project!
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock