relay differences? by bonaduce
Started on: 03-16-2014 04:08 PM
Replies: 9 (289 views)
Last post by: bonaduce on 03-17-2014 06:35 PM
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to wire a relay into my wiring harness on my motorcycle. The tutorial I am following calls for a Pilot PL-RY1, which I can not find locally. Its 4 legs run 31-32 and 45-/-46 (open). My question is can I use a 85-86 and 30-/-87 relay. Do the numbers actually mean anything.

dan

pilot relay

generic 4 prong
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those wiring schematics show that the two relays are similar and probably interchangeable. I say probably because the current rating for the main power circuit (45-46 on the pilot relay, and 87-30 on the other relay) may not be identical. Relays are categorized in terms of the number of volts needed across the coil to make it switch, and the current capacity of the main circuit. Your motorcycle certainly has a 12VDC supply to the relay coil, so the only other thing to determine is how much current will the main circuit see. Most generic automotive relays are either rated for 15A or 30A. What does your relay need to turn on?
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like was said, coil rating and contact type/rating is the main thing to look for.

Jason
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Those wiring schematics show that the two relays are similar and probably interchangeable. I say probably because the current rating for the main power circuit (45-46 on the pilot relay, and 87-30 on the other relay) may not be identical. Relays are categorized in terms of the number of volts needed across the coil to make it switch, and the current capacity of the main circuit. Your motorcycle certainly has a 12VDC supply to the relay coil, so the only other thing to determine is how much current will the main circuit see. Most generic automotive relays are either rated for 15A or 30A. What does your relay need to turn on?

I am getting a considerable voltage drop between the battery and the coils during cranking. This is a mod to provide direct current to the coil to by pass the wiring fault/resistance.

dan

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The voltage drop may not be your problem and so the relay may not solve it. Read this article and you'll see that depending where you're taking the voltage measurement, the voltage drop may be normal. www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=407

What is the symptom you're trying to correct?
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a no start issue, I need 11 volts at the coil to get the recommended spark, upon cranking my voltage at the coil drops from 11.5 to under 8.

dan
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this tidbit of info here: www.underhoodservice.com/Ar...oil_diagnostics.aspx

"...an oil-filled ignition coil might require about 4 amperes of current at 12 volts to produce 20-30 kilovolts (kV), while a modern e-core or coil-on-plug configuration might require about 7 amperes of current at 12 volts to produce 30-60 kV of high-intensity spark. "

That means that a typical automotive style 12VDC relay with contacts rated for 15A should easily be enough for what you want to do.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for that info

dan
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you check voltage out at the ign switch? Over the years I've seen bad switches lose voltage.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will be back tracing wires shortly, want to make sure I have a good spark first. Then I can go from there to find where the voltage drop is. Bike sat last oct-nov outside in rain under cover, so I am pretty sure there is a corrosion issue somewhere.

dan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock