Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Gonna pay a shop to work on the passenger door, what parts usually needed?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gonna pay a shop to work on the passenger door, what parts usually needed? by John W. Tilford
Started on: 03-16-2014 01:23 PM
Replies: 4 (128 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 03-16-2014 08:20 PM
John W. Tilford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to pre-order the usually needed items for a door overhaul to save the shop time and get my 88GT back quicker. (Through Rodney.) Oh, power mirror, but that's working fine. (I replaced that three years ago when Bambi knocked the original mirror mount off of the studs.)

Symptoms: window rattles and is slow going up and down. Have to give the door an extra slam to close. (replaced the original door "posts" (the latch grabs when closed) with the Ford versions, slightly bigger diameter. Helped a little. Still have the originals.) Read about the lock issues below. Summary: hinge pins, overall mysterious rattles, window rattles and slow, and lock.

Below is my lengthy text. Please let me know if this list is too much, not enough (like the mystery white plastic mini-bowls?), I'm ordering stuff the door may not need, or there are things not on my list that are almost sure to be needed. Thank you!

I know the door needs the hinge pin and bushings, and I might as well have the shop do both doors' hinges while they are at it. Ok, there's one line item. A pin and bushing set for each of two doors.
I know the shop will need some of those little white, squished spider-like clips that hold the black trim strip down, the clips that usually break when the strip is removed. Second item.
I know the shop will need whatever connects the door lock moving arm and the door lock. The push-pull power lock rod fits in there somewhere. The reason I know this is that the door couldn't be unlocked a few days ago, from inside or out. Finally I got it unlocked. Now it can't be locked (and I don't want to take a chance trying). AND, the last time the door was partially apart I, myself, me, fabricated a connection out of heavy wire. (Hey, it worked fine for three years!) There's the third item. You will probably say get it from a junk yard. OK.
I know the door is short a full complement, whatever number that is and wherever they go, of the little white plastic shallow bowl shaped things. I found two in the bottom of the door when I first took the inner panel off eight years ago. I think 1) they have something to do with stabilizing the window, which always rattles, and 2) I don't have them now. One was broken anyway.
The dew wipes are not too bad. Last replaced in 2006, but the car is garaged almost all the time. Somewhere I have a set of the pressure pads that push against the window.
I'm assuming the shop should be able to get locking screws, etc. to replace the drilled-out rivets.

I'm certain they'll discover somethings else they need when the door is apart, but we'll cross that (part) bridge when we get there.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
black84se

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black84seSend a Private Message to black84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I broke some door panel clips when I removed my panel. Found them at advance auto for $2.39 per three pack. (they look like Christmas trees made of white plastic)
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you have thought of just about everything that could go wrong. I think the hinge pins would be the first thing, and the pads on the dew wipes are probably the second most likely noise maker.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John, nicely thought of.

One thing to out line is the inner door skins. The "x-mas" tree push tabs...

You will need to cut the rear lower bottom tab of the door about 1/4" off because it will
"catch" once your window is lowered to the max.

Replacing all tabs is a better solution because you know all is new.

Tell the shop to handle the door removal process carefully. Some parts a fragile due to age.
And some parts are hard to get new.

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005
Also, the Ford version door latch is a very good upgrade.

I have this mod done to one of my 88s. Nothing but good comments here.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock