Started on: 03-15-2014 02:39 PM
Replies: 15 (350 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 08-16-2014 07:43 AM
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a body shop install my fastback sail panels, the drivers side came off today, but it wasn't for lack of holdinon the tape they used (gave them he 3m part number for the right stuff, I assume they used it), the paint on the window seems to have separated from the window... No idea what windows they are. any recommendations on wtf I can do to fix this???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this identical problem happen to me as well. Tape was still on the car with what appeared to be the black paint that is sprayed on the widow to "blackout" the black area. My windows were the tinted ones from the fierostore. I was going quite fast when it came out and it caught my eye in the driver side mirror.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the paint should be scraped off the side where the tape is applied.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

I had this identical problem happen to me as well. Tape was still on the car with what appeared to be the black paint that is sprayed on the widow to "blackout" the black area. My windows were the tinted ones from the fierostore. I was going quite fast when it came out and it caught my eye in the driver side mirror.

think mine are the same,t hey are `tinted` and that's exacly what happened, tapes still ont he car, windows has missing `paint` where the tape went...
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by Spoon:

Maybe the paint should be scraped off the side where the tape is applied.

Spoon

that's the dotted parrern and all around the window, without it, you can see threw them, wouldn't look very good at all.

fierobug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've got an inch by inch spot up top of panel that has lost its tint. Not that old 3 years.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobug:

I've got an inch by inch spot up top of panel that has lost its tint. Not that old 3 years.

tints fine, its the paint on the back separated from them... they were installed Tuesday...
fierobug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your right it is chipping off.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now, it seems that the best quality fastback quarterwindows are from ChrisCookDesigns.com Having printed plexiglass for about 30 years, and after speaking with Chris, I chose his windows as replacements for my brother's car. I did have a little fitting problem with the passenger side but was able to install it without modification. They have been on the car for a little over a year without problems.

All the black on Chris's windows is screen printed with an acrylic ink. You cannot screen print the dot matrix pattern and GT then spray the solid black with an aerosol 'paint'. The coating (translate as ink, paint) must not just stick to the acrylic, but must bond by crosslinking with the acrylic. It crosslinks by slightly melting into the acrylic. There some coatings that will do that, but may damage the acrylic in the long run.

After receiving a pair from FieroJon, I found the obvious signs that the large black background had been spray painted. The thickness of the coating was much heavier, there was a masking line just in front of the clear portion of the window, and the black background felt soft, or rubbery. In addition, the black background was loaded with trash and had some scratches. After unwrapping the one window that was wrapped, I found it had a FieroStore inventory tag on it and the quality was identical to the window that wasn't wrapped. My conclusion is that they were seconds purchased from FieroStore and resold.

Ask your widow manufacturer if you can do a Scotch Tape Test on their windows and return them if they fail. Any printer worth their salt will know what you're talking about. That was a common test we used for testing adhesion. Apply a 3 inch length of clear Scotch Tape, leaving enough to be able to pull it off. Rub down the remaining area with your finger than rip it off like a lady's hot wax treatment. If the coating sticks, you've got a properly printed quarter window. Buy two pairs of windows. You have RARE Fiero part.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These came with the car when I got it, sux.. :.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by fierofool:

Right now, it seems that the best quality fastback quarterwindows are from ChrisCookDesigns.com Having printed plexiglass for about 30 years, and after speaking with Chris, I chose his windows as replacements for my brother's car. I did have a little fitting problem with the passenger side but was able to install it without modification. They have been on the car for a little over a year without problems.

site no longer exist. :/
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can find chris cook on ebay. search name gtfiero. he'll be glad to answer any of your questions. Im running his sail panels and love them. heres a link to one of his sales.chris cook sail panels

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 03-16-2014).]

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how can i identify whos windows i have?
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that would be hard to identify , but if the ink came off i can tell you their not chris's . His screen printing (chemically) melts the ink to the plastic.
Bad Cornflakes

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bad CornflakesSend a Private Message to Bad CornflakesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this is for the '88 then they came from the Fiero Store.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Generally you can identify a window that is't properly printed and is using spray paint for the solid black background by looking for a vertical line where the appearance of the black coating changes. Several vendor's windows that have the dot matrix actually screen print the dot matrix and the GT logo. Then when it's dry they mask off the print except for a small edge of the front of the matrix. Then they spray paint the solid black background.

The proper coating to use is an acrylic ink. If the logo is printed with acrylic and acrylic paint is sprayed on top of it, it will dissolve the logo and cause it to bleed into the black. Even though screen printing can accomplish because of the method, it can't be done with sprays, so the printer uses something other than acrylic that won't dissolve (re-wet) the logo.

So, look for a straight vertical line just ahead of the open panel of the window. That's your clue that the wrong ink is used and adhesion will be very poor. I fully agree with dematrix86GT.

Look on Ebay for gtfiero as a seller. That's Chris Cook.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock