Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  getting ready to paint the 87GT. Any ideas on a good online place to buy paint?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
getting ready to paint the 87GT. Any ideas on a good online place to buy paint? by woodyhere
Started on: 03-14-2014 06:31 PM
Replies: 5 (221 views)
Last post by: jpeeler on 03-15-2014 10:33 PM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 87 GT. I have some side scoops, gray ground effects and a Z28 extractor hood to paint. I want to match the med. red metallic base coat, clear coat paint that is already on the car. I don't want to paint the whole car right now.
Any on line auto body supply places you guys have used that you are happy with? Have good prices?
Is it possible to sand the old clear coat and apply new clear coat? Most of the paint looks really good but would look much better if it had a new clear coat. I see there is a spray that makes the paint stick better? Would it make the new clear coat stick better to the old?

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it aint broke, don't fix it. Applying to the existing clear coat. The last thing you want is to burn through the clear while sanding it, or not sand it enough and have it peel on you. It would be my opinion just to paint the parts you need to paint, or paint the whole thing. Base coat is cheap for the most part, and might not be a 100% match if you order online. If you buy local you can always get it re-tinted if its not perfect for no charge (test it first).

When I painted the blue on my car, I didn't care much because I plan on re-painting the whole thing soon anyway but just wanted it all in one color. Needless to say the match was not 100%, but closer to 85% and totally obvious.

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why online? any parts store that sells paint can mix you a batch of whatever color you want and between the price of shipping your paint and getting an exact match the problems with buying something online you would be better off just driving the car to the store and have them match the color of the faded paint would be a lot easier at the local paint place.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-15-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id buy paint from a nearby store that can give you support for anything else you need. Try to stick to one brand of everything if possible. If you have some panels that are in excellent shape and just want to reclear them with the rest of the car, you can. You have to be sure to clean any wax (Dawn dish soap and hot water), and SCUFF the panels completely with a red scotchbrite or 400 wet paper. It has to be all COMPLETELY dull. New clear will then stick fine to old clear. Like said above, if you sand thru the old clear anywhere, your screwed and it has to be respotted with base color first. Thats IF YOUR POSITIVE the old paint is basecoat & clearcoat. You have other problems if the old is single stage and you sand and clear it. Dont pile on the clear, 2-3 coats are more than enough...more makes it succeptible to cracking. I put 2 on a job thats done after spraying and 3 if its going to be color sanded and buffed (because your going to remove one coat + with the sanding and buffing). Ive been refinishing cars professionally since 1964.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roger - I was hoping you would have some advice to give. I know I have base/clear coat on the car. I'll be sure to get all the polish and shine removed before I clear coat. I'm going to wait until I have the clear coats on before I block it out. I just don't want to see any med red in the sanding water! I'll buy locally as recommended by all. It's been a long time since I painted a car. Last time was with acrylic enamel and the total cost of supplies was less than $60. You know it's been a few years.

Thanks all,

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My GT was involved in an accident where a guy backed into me. Put a new hood and bumper cover or it. The guy who did the work is a good friend of mine and I helped him through the whole process for learning purposes. One thing I learned is he uses a paint company called Matrix. He uses them every time and blending is not necessary 9/10 times. He said they also haven't raised their prices in quite some time. He runs a very small single person shop but converted some local high production shops in the area to the same paint.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock