86' 4.9 swap help by chase_banyas
Started on: 03-13-2014 06:10 PM
Replies: 8 (400 views)
Last post by: PBJ on 03-14-2014 10:05 PM
chase_banyas

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chase_banyasClick Here to visit chase_banyas's HomePageSend a Private Message to chase_banyasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, i bought a 86' with a 4.9 swap already done it runs and drives the tack, fuel, and temp gauges seem to be working fine but as of now I have no speedo????? I also need some help with struts the car is riding like a board down the road??? This is my first Fiero and I am in need of some help, thanks Chase
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!

1. Do you have a stock suspension?

2. What transmission do you have?
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your speedo isn't hooked up to the ECM. It runs separate to the transmission. The sensor is a 2 lead plug on my Muncie, and it could be as simple as a bad or pinched wire. This will be a case of checking the circuit for breaks or bad connections first

Arn

------------------

chase_banyas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chase_banyasClick Here to visit chase_banyas's HomePageSend a Private Message to chase_banyasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys I appreciate the input, it has a four speed manual and the stock coil over struts as far as i know. also i believe the stock ecm was removed for the caddy ecm i may be wrong tho
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So how are you at wiring?

Normally when connecting a MT engine swap the two VSS leads are connected in a T fashion to both the ECM input and the speedo input.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 03-13-2014).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chase_banyas:

Thanks guys I appreciate the input, it has a four speed manual and the stock coil over struts as far as i know. also i believe the stock ecm was removed for the caddy ecm i may be wrong tho

The sender unit for your tranny should be over the right wheel axle on the trunk side of the engine. It has a hold down tab. First check the sender wire and plug. It would be easy to break it or crimp it somewhere. If you take out the sender, do it carefully. It has a plastic gear laying loose in the bottom. You have to be careful pulling it out and putting it back in to not lose that gear in the tranny housing or harm it. The stock one is blue. Hope this helps

Arn
chase_banyas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chase_banyasClick Here to visit chase_banyas's HomePageSend a Private Message to chase_banyasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is there any way to test the sending unit and gauge ? cause everything in the cluster is working fine
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Fiero VSS (Magnetic) chucked into a hand drill, and spun at full speed puts out about 12VAC - Must be measured on the AC Volt Scale.

DO NOT - do not drop the gear off the end of the VSS when you pull it out of the transmission. If it falls in and you can't fish it out, you won't be able to fish it out.

If the gear is missing - well then that is your problem.

Have you looked at the wiring near the ECM/C203 at all?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
large white picture with info mid thread

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-079902.html
if using caddy ecm/engine/trans

------------------

88 3800 turbo...10 sec Quarter Mile Member.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock