LED lights in dash by FieroCat
Started on: 03-13-2014 02:32 PM
Replies: 6 (1012 views)
Last post by: FGT88 on 05-14-2015 12:19 PM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible to replace the dim bulbs in the instrument cluster/dash lights with brighter LED ones? If so, where would you find the LEDs that would go into the sockets? Even after replacing the transistor and checking the grounds the lights are just too dim to see properly.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With regular 194 bulbs it should be plenty bright to see, I think you still have an electrical problem if its really that dim. Do you have the backlight dash or the base, non-backlit dash?

LED lights don't filter well so its not a good idea to use white LEDs. Red LEDs will work, but the needle will also be red (instead of yellow) which loses some of the contrast. Something like this is probably the most economical, and they are quite bright too:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuteq...keywords=194+red+led

You could also consider using 168 incandescent bulbs instead of 194 bulbs. They are the same physical size but are 5 watt bulbs instead of 4 watt, and put out about 50% more light.

[This message has been edited by masospaghetti (edited 03-13-2014).]

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the backlit dash. I just read the Fiero Cave section about the LEDs and realize now that may not be a great idea... I may try the 168 bulbs instead. I changed out the transistor already, I may also take a look at the dimmer wheel and see if it needs cleaning.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:
With regular 194 bulbs it should be plenty bright to see, I think you still have an electrical problem if its really that dim.

Yup... 6 194 is bright enough that most dim down the light. Dim means trouble with dimmer circuit, bad socket(s), old/dead bulb(s), etc.

See my Cave, Dash Dimmer

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Topbulb has Phillips 168LL bulbs for $1.67 a pair (not sure what shipping is)

http://www.topbulb.com/phil...Wpkr0CFcli7AodSmgAPw

Advance auto has Sylvania 168LL bulbs for $4.99 a pair, but you can get between 30-40% off this using the online promo codes. 30% = TRT30 (no minimum), 35% = WD11 ($50 minimum), 40% = TRT37 ($75 minimum, $30 off). The Sylvania bulbs are the only ones I've found that aren't Chinese, they are still made in Europe. Not sure about the Phillips bulbs.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many Sylvania bulbs available thru walmart at ~50% less that AZ etc.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-14-2014).]

FGT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FGT88Send a Private Message to FGT88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

With regular 194 bulbs it should be plenty bright to see, I think you still have an electrical problem if its really that dim. Do you have the backlight dash or the base, non-backlit dash?

LED lights don't filter well so its not a good idea to use white LEDs. Red LEDs will work, but the needle will also be red (instead of yellow) which loses some of the contrast. Something like this is probably the most economical, and they are quite bright too:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuteq...keywords=194+red+led
hello i seen this on the forum how many leds do i need to do the entire light for my 1988 fiero gt? and i am thinking about the red t10 leds how do you think blue do you know if anyone has samples in their fieros with red ,blue or white t10 leds so i can see ? thanks

You could also consider using 168 incandescent bulbs instead of 194 bulbs. They are the same physical size but are 5 watt bulbs instead of 4 watt, and put out about 50% more light.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock