Burning Belts by crazyred84
Started on: 03-13-2014 02:16 PM
Replies: 11 (230 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-19-2014 07:37 AM
crazyred84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After a month and half adventure of changing my clutch and transmission repair, I get her ready to drive and my belts slipping. 3 belts from Autozone later and still can't get it stick. I've searched every corner of this forum for an answer and I can't seem to find a fix.

Here's a list of everything replaced/repaired on the car since it ran last:
New Clutch/pressure plate from autozone
New throwout bearing fork bushings and seal
New slave cylinder
New Alternator (broke the bolt off in it trying to put a new belt on)
3 15505 belts from autzone (now know they're cheap crap)
New Napa 7500 belt (currently on the car)
Water pump seal

The car's an 84 SE with an 85 L4 and 5 speed in it. AC is not hooked up. I got it to run for 10 minutes today with the new belt and cleaned pulleys before it started to slip again. Pulleys appear lined up, I assume I'd know if they were out of line enough to cause problems. Everything spins fine. Any Ideas on what to check next would be much appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried a Gatorback belt?
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not. NAPA only had their brand belts in stock when I went today.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gates is also a very good brand. They were recommended to me by my auto AC mechanic.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe try a shorter belt -- run for short break in period and then gently retighten. It's not unusual for a cheap belt to stretch haven't heard of a new stock NAPA belt having a problem. Also how is the belt riding in the pulley? When it's tightened, is the top of the belt flush with the top of the pulley or is the top of the belt below the top (riding inside) of the pulley?

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 03-13-2014).]

crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Napa belt rides flush with all of the pulleys. The one I got from AutoZone sat down inside a little bit. I'll try the break in procedure after work tonight. I've heard good things about the Gate's and good year belts, and will try that next.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also be sure the grooves in the pulleys are clean. They can pack with oil and dirt over time and fill in some and still look like it's metal.
Are they all in the same plane. Alt pulley not spaced in or out to the water and crank.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 03-13-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
over or under tight belt can fail.
Over tight will break the cording then belt will slip, even throw off the belt.

Clean pulley w/ brake cleaner. Not carb cleaner etc that many leaves a bit of oil behind.
Binding alt or wp can kill a belt.
worn out crank pulley can kill the belt.

See my Cave, Serpent Belt
Get Krikit tool

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
give dodgerunner a pm. he makes a bracket to install a 3100 spring loaded tensinor on your motor. it makes the belt have more contact surface with the alternator and shuts the pig squeeling up for good.
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
Think I finally got it. It was a combination of dirty pulleys, cheap belt from AutoZone, and I added a washer on the wrong side of the alt. Adjustment belt. She runs like a champ now. Thanks guys!
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And...it's back. After a couple days of of no squeal it started on my way home today. However this time it's only at an idle. Anything over 1500 rpm it's gone. I was reading another thread that mentioned the width of the wp gasket could be enough to throw the pulleys out of line. Is that probable? To the human eye the look lined up, I haven't used a laser our anything to verify.
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm with the other folks, gatorback or gates high quality belt.
Or a tensioner.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-19-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock