GT tail light metal bracket by TheDave
Started on: 03-13-2014 09:22 AM
Replies: 4 (176 views)
Last post by: seajai on 03-13-2014 07:37 PM
TheDave

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDaveSend a Private Message to TheDaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure of the official term for this part but as you can see in the picture below there was some sort of finish on these and I do not think it was just paint. These are the 3 clips that hold the GT tail light on with the long 7 inch screws. I was thinking of dipping these in Plasti Dip. What are you thoughts.

Regards,
David

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86 Vintage Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you planning on driving during winter months? If so, then any protection is good. I have used the dip on tools but I have always wondered what would happen on car parts! The only down side would be if the protective coating got torn, which would allow water and salt (if driven in the winter months) to corrode the metal. Something on the metal has to help. Hope it works out.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely won't help. Screw will "saw thru" the dip. Then dip can help water to rust more, likely faster.

Use whatever to convert rust to anti-rust coating. Clean off big flakes only, not all of it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Vanet

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanetSend a Private Message to VanetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They have paints that kill rust and stop it from coming back. That would probably be better than plasti-dip. The one that comes to mind is POR-15, but it is expensive and some of the ones you buy at the hardware store work just as well for a lot less.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.por15.com/

Used this on my cradle and other parts, works great.

Starter kit is only $22 bucks

http://www.por15.com/SUPER-...KIT--Black_p_11.html

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 03-13-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock