Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  86 V6 Won't Start, Distributor Loose, no timing reference, how to fix?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
86 V6 Won't Start, Distributor Loose, no timing reference, how to fix? by blainelocklair
Started on: 03-12-2014 11:45 AM
Replies: 5 (367 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 03-15-2014 11:14 AM
blainelocklair

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blainelocklairSend a Private Message to blainelocklairEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone,

Well, it's been one helluva ride with getting the Fiero back to health. I believe I'm close, but need help with a problem with the distributor. I just figured out that it is not secured down, and it will turn about 90 degrees in its current state. I have no reference for the timing to be able to get it set up to make the 10 degrees BTDC fine adjustment. The car cranks, ignition is working, fuel pump & injectors are good, but no way it'll start this far out of timing on the distributor. I believe the #1 cylinder will need to be set to TDC and measured at the crankshaft, but I've never done this before, so I'm in need of some guidance. One I get the distributor set, I believe I will be in business.

Can anyone offer some guidance as to what to do? Please feel free to include any pics, diagrams, etc. I've got the car this close, help me get her the rest of the way back on the road!

Thanks everyone, glad to have your help.

- Blaine
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure your TDC on #1 is on the spark stroke and not the exhaust stroke. Line up the rotor to the correct spot in the cap. Tighten down the distributor, but just snug...not locked in place. Start the car. Twist the cap a little until the car sounds the best, and tighten down the distributor. You don't have to mess with the timing marks to make the car run.....but they help.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the car won't start: disconnect battery, Pull #1 spark plug, Have someone turn the engine over Clockwise with a socket on the harmonic balancer while you have your finger over the #1 sparl plug hole. When you feel Air being pushed out of #1, turn the balancer (still clockwise) until the marks lines up at the timing cover. Turn the dist until the Rotor is pointing at #1 terminal. Tighten it down. then," Jump" A and B at the Plug under the console. re connect battery, start it up, set to 10 degrees, tighten the dist, Disconnect jumper wire under console. you're done.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 people have someone try to start the car, while they are turning the car over turn the distributer one way and if it starts keep turning it slowly until it sounds smooth. lock it down then let it warm up and put a timing light on it. Some things are just that simple. Old School Rules!

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-12-2014).]

blainelocklair

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blainelocklairSend a Private Message to blainelocklairEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone. I've got it timed back in by hand cranking to TDC on the #1 cylinder and turning the distributor cap to match the rotor position. Good info provided by everyone.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The story continues....Here

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock