Different auto shifter handle choice by BrittB
Started on: 03-11-2014 11:46 PM
Replies: 24 (1315 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-16-2016 01:08 AM
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there other choices for a different automatic shifter handles for the 85 Fieros? T-handles are fine but I'd like something in a round knob sort of shape.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have an auto, but i've heard camaro and corvette, someone chime in....

-Mitch

------------------
My Car - 87' GT 3800sc
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The C5 Corvette shift knob is a perfect match for the Fiero. Either go to a GM dealership or find one of the online parts dealers and order PN 12559930. For this shift knob the small horseshoe clip that holds the shift knob on the stalk will need to be trimmed down so that it will seat into the Vette knob, but that is easily accomplished with a Dremel tool.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe you can add Grand Prix, grand am knobs to the list. I picked up a Grand Prix to put on.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second the Corvette knob.
It's what I used while my Indy was an automatic.
It's smaller than the ones on Cavalier etc.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-25-2016).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost ANY GM auto handle will fit, as long as it's held on with the "U" clip and had a button on top.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my Grand Prix knob. Stock height.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Almost ANY GM auto handle will fit, as long as it's held on with the "U" clip and had a button on top.

This is what I have in mind. The big reason for the swap is reaching around that huge shifter to tune the radio or adjust the heat.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can cut the shift arm down about 1-2" depending on what you want. what type of knob are you looking for? do you want it leather covered? does it need to have a switch? let me know i have about 13 different variations of knobs.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

T-handles are fine...

No they're not. That's one of the first things I changed on the '86 GT that I got several years ago.

The smaller rounder style knob with the button on the top much better matches the confined interior of a Fiero.

The t-handle seems so large and archaic.

This is the style (from a Camaro) that I bought on eBay for about ten bucks. It's leather, looks and works just fine. Direct swap, no screwing around.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-13-2014).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

This is my Grand Prix knob. Stock height.

I would like to find one just like this one, it's what I have in mind.
PFF
System Bot
CorridorCulprit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorridorCulpritSend a Private Message to CorridorCulpritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just changed mine last week for the second time, when I got my Fiero it came with the big boxing glove grand prix one and I couldn't handle it, too big and bulky for my liking. Changed it to the T style almost instantly (luckily the PO saved it), and then bought the camaro shifter because it just looks a lot better and I love the top button. I tried looking for a corvette one, but the only ones I could find were $50 and up, and thats just way too much for a shift knob for me.
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MOMO makes a very nice one, kind of pricey but fantastic quality with hidden mounting screws.
Try E-Bay for the 'Vette and other GM knobs, there was quite a few when I looked last Summer.
Good luck in your search.
Rich
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

This is the style (from a Camaro) that I bought on eBay for about ten bucks. It's leather, looks and works just fine. Direct swap, no screwing around.

Hmm... great minds think alike? Mine came from a Chevy Corsica, though... no leather.

That photo is from "back in the day" when my Fiero had a slushbox. The shifter and the slushbox are both long gone.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

I would like to find one just like this one, it's what I have in mind.

Mine came from ebay and was a direct swap. Look for one with the horseshoe shaped retaining pin. It had a plastic piece below the leather covered area. I pulled it off and installed it under the shift boot to help hold it in place. I think it works very well and looks factory. It feels right, too. No need to change the height of the shaft.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

No they're not. That's one of the first things I changed on the '86 GT that I got several years ago.

The smaller rounder style knob with the button on the top much better matches the confined interior of a Fiero.

The t-handle seems so large and archaic.

What year Camaro has this style?
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it comes from all different years chevy 88-97 if you want one covered in leather i can do it for you for $40.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Hmm... great minds think alike? Mine came from a Chevy Corsica, though... no leather.

I had that style back when I had my Beretta. Had I known then that a leather version was available, I would have been all over that swap! LOL Good ol' Ebay...

90turbo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 90turbo1Send a Private Message to 90turbo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I second the Corvette knob. It's what I used while my Indy was an automatic.
It's smaller than the ones on Cavalier etc.

wow I like the corvette handle.... how did you cut the slector shaft down to make it fit???

I agree the t-handle is way way to large for this small of a car interior

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 90turbo1:

.... how did you cut the selector shaft down to make it fit???

Rich shows how to cut down the shaft here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-1-049269.html

fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I chopped mine down as per the instructions above then got rid of the boot. I think the boot looks horrible.

PFF
System Bot
OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2016 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroall:

I chopped mine down as per the instructions above then got rid of the boot. I think the boot looks horrible.

I'm looking to get rid of the boot in favor of pretty much the same look you have now. What parts did you use and how did you mount it?

NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2016 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need one of the C5 handles. Any leads?? I checked Ebay.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2016 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:

I need one of the C5 handles. Any leads?? I checked Ebay.

See here: http://www.mamotorworks.com...s-related-components

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroall:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Looks like 4 layer of whatever plastic, 3 moving, 1 fix that mount them to bottom of OE trim.
Q is just how you trim pieces and keep them in place. Several ways possible but how yours is done helps many.

OE boots are ok but many have aftermarket boots made very cheap and vinyl fails breaks up, tears, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock