Back to the Rack! by TrotFox
Started on: 03-11-2014 06:57 PM
Replies: 5 (309 views)
Last post by: TrotFox on 03-17-2014 05:34 PM
TrotFox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I finally got around to pulling my rack apart again so I can hopefully put my loose steering issues to rest. I found a replacement for the upper needle bearing (20x26x10mm if anyone is interested, vxb.com has them) but am having a heck of a time finding a replacement for the lower ball bearing. It's a 10x30x8mm deep groove unit and all anyone seems to carry is a 9mm thick version. Even SKF doesn't list this bearing even though the outer race is marked SKF and 6304 (though there may be another number after that as it's dirty and won't clean up.) At this point I'm going to end up having to re-use the lower bearing and hope the upper fixes my issue of 5-10° play in the wheel.

Does anyone have any magic bearing source that can top my Google-Fu?

Thanks!
Red 5spd Formula
Trot, the frustrated, fox...

------------------
| /\_/\ TrotFox \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
| >\_/< trotfox at gmail.com \ third alternative."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would try to use the 10x26x8 and have a 2mm ring made to go over the od of the bearing so it would fit in the housing. You are correct though it doesn't look like you can get that bearing.
Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if you tried this or not but if you know of someone who has a copy of the IBI (international bearing interchange) you can find any bearing that is compatible just by knowing the basic style and measurements. Most industrial bearing vendors have a copy and usually they are willing to research it for you. The IBI cost about $500 so it is not cost effective to buy the CD (or the book) so try taking a sales rep out for lunch. Good luck with that. I have heard that KAMAN bearing has in most of it's locations a research library that is open to their customers so that might help. It is rare that there is only one bearing that fits only one application as there are thousands of different bearings and it is not likely (but possible) that there is one size that just never was made somewhere. Sometimes the races are the right size but the fit is different but if it is just the press fit (interference) you can have the shaft ground to the right size. You have my sympathy but don't give up! I hope this helps.
krum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for krumSend a Private Message to krumEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a place i use all the time they are close to my house in PA they just might have it.Bearing Drive Unlimited (570) 655-6034.Good Luck
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man. I hope I dont have to go thru that. I have about 1-1 1/2 inch of play. In my stearjng wheel. Or about 1/4 inch at the front wheels. I bought this he brass bushing from Rodney. Hope that fuxes my ptkblem.
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whelp, I received and installed the needle bearing and re-used the deep-groove bearing. Today's test drive has me 95% certain that the repair has been successful. =D

The rear toe is out due to a recent bushing replacement, after an alignment I will be able to further diagnose the state of the suspension. ;) Lane changes now happen when I ask for them as opposed to having to guess about when to counter-steer after crossing the line so I think I'm good here!

Red 5spd Formula
Trot, the appreciative, fox...

------------------
| /\_/\ TrotFox \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
| >\_/< trotfox at gmail.com \ third alternative."

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors