Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  glaspack in place of cat. why not? (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
glaspack in place of cat. why not? by AL87
Started on: 03-09-2014 07:19 PM
Replies: 96 (2112 views)
Last post by: Bridgetown on 03-26-2014 10:18 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Unfortunately a common problem is that humans can be quite emotional, and will read emotion into a few lines of pure text, where there is no emotion.

And if your posting a thread asking "why not?" about running glasspack/straight pipe/etc in place of the cat, then you should expect responses you don't agree with. "It is illegal and bad for you, your neighbors, the planet, etc…" is a valid and acceptable response. It doesn't deserve itself to be replied to with "screw you hippies and Obama for trying to put me down." Because all such a reply does is elevate the thread into one where personal attacks are accepted and common, by making them yourself.

If you don't want any discussion that you would disagree with, then don't ask why you should or shouldn't do something.

I don't think anyone actually hates me on here, im pretty sure I was/am annoying. we've all been there done that... Im sure at least on a fiero forum
I and many others are not on here to get discouraged though, and I'd volunteer to be the first to say that at first I didn't know a lot. and I asked questions. I did some stupid $#!t and learned from it. but I'm still going to do things my way in the end.
its alright for us to examine the pros and cons of a question on a thread here. but im the kind not to take it to a personal level anymore.

life is too short to be fighting and be negative... that's why we have to drive our fieros naked.

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 03-17-2014).]

IP: Logged
starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I am cowering in fetal position in a cold sweat.. Nothing in life is more important than someone's forum rating on an online chat group about an obsolete economy car from the 80's.... The horror!!!

My feelings, exactly. Giving someone a negative rating because they don't like what they said is childish. And to care about it is even more childish. I have gotten personal attacks on O/T and since I don't shiv a git about other's opinions of me, I let it slide without comment.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit, because I have poor reading comprehension...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 03-18-2014).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How's the weather in Pago Pago?
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bit of a train wreck of a thread, no?

The biggest hint about where the OP's head is at is that he said he likes a cam not for what it does for power, or whether or not it works well with other mods, but simply because it has a great lope at idle. End of reason for logical discussion, IMO.

Stick whatever you want under there, you'll probably change your mind a month down the road anyway.

FWIW, I agree with those that said it is a bad idea from the point of view of social conscience, to toss a CAT when you can just fit a new one (I ran a high flow CAT on my Turbo 88). There is no power loss for doing so, it just costs more than a CAT delete pipe.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

Bit of a train wreck of a thread, no?

The biggest hint about where the OP's head is at is that he said he likes a cam not for what it does for power, or whether or not it works well with other mods, but simply because it has a great lope at idle. End of reason for logical discussion, IMO.

Your post is kind of an example of the described train wreck. Inferring and judging reasons and labeling as unworthy, etc. It doesnt bother me if someone wants the sound of a cam and isnt concerned with a power increase, or if they just didnt mention a power increase because they thought it was something most people know. They asked about sound, so I replied about sound. I could have also not replied at all.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personaly I feell that a high flow cat and then a high flow muffler or resonator tips is the best way to go.
If I had to choose, I'd pick the cat over the muffler. I hate the thought of the person behind me smelling my raw exhaust.
I have wcf shorty headers and down pipe. Have a high flow cat and will be replacing the ORIGINAL muffler with either a y-pipe and resinator tips, in-line resonators, or a performance muffler.
So I am interested in this thread.

As a side note, I really hate weeding through the nonrevelant BS to try and find the best advice from some of the actually knowledgable people on this forum. Please let us get back on subject.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:
Please let us get back on subject.

Great idea! I hope AL87 got his answer.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 03-19-2014).]

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if I can lay on that throttle and not annoy everybody within 300 feet of me then I think I'll have done okay.

But as per mention about the 6ft of piping needed for the exhaust pulses to even out for power (where the muffler ends up being) maybe I can run a cat where the muffler was, and then use said resonators... there's just not enough room for what I'm wanting...

either I can run a muffler in the stock loction without a cat, and have a tolerable engine noise.
or I run a small cat and small muffler at the back somehow... all in an effort to retain what little power gain there is... XD
Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe I just wasted an hour on this discussion. AL87 are you really that dense or are you plain stupid? I'm sorry if that's too blunt for you but your answers and questions begs me to ask. Your miniscule horsepower gains for straight pipes are not socially responsible in any category. Just because you can do anything you want doesn't make it right. You sound like an irresponsible, ignorant moron who doesn't even know when he gets good advice. I for one will never participate in another of your threads. You don't seem to be open to the great advice you have recieved here. There were a couple of idiots who got their panties in a twist and vomited their personal wisdom and barbs at others and that was uncalled for and a detriment to the forum. Take a chill pill guys. Answer his questions if you like but your bickering is out of place and uncalled for. My god what a brainless thread this turned out to be. Disgusting.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Diamond Dave:

I can't believe I just wasted an hour on this discussion. AL87 are you really that dense or are you plain stupid? I'm sorry if that's too blunt for you but your answers and questions begs me to ask. Your miniscule horsepower gains for straight pipes are not socially responsible in any category. Just because you can do anything you want doesn't make it right. You sound like an irresponsible, ignorant moron who doesn't even know when he gets good advice. I for one will never participate in another of your threads. You don't seem to be open to the great advice you have recieved here. There were a couple of idiots who got their panties in a twist and vomited their personal wisdom and barbs at others and that was uncalled for and a detriment to the forum. Take a chill pill guys. Answer his questions if you like but your bickering is out of place and uncalled for. My god what a brainless thread this turned out to be. Disgusting.

who says I want to be politically correct? its not my fault some people want me to do what they view is "socially responsible" I've seen SOME good advice towards what I've asked. but everything else is just... what I would like to call "fat" that includes comments about what some want, and unrelated to my questions and whatever bashing involved. I am open, but I'm still going to do what i'm going to do. personally I dont like how any thread becomes brainless. ANY POST, BY ANYONE should remain on topic and supportive.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Diamond Dave:

Got a neg today.
I just thought there were some mean spirited posts. If that offended someone I guess that is how it will be.

*Edited, neg was not from Diamond Dave.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-26-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by AL87:

if I can lay on that throttle and not annoy everybody within 300 feet of me then I think I'll have done okay.

But as per mention about the 6ft of piping needed for the exhaust pulses to even out for power (where the muffler ends up being) maybe I can run a cat where the muffler was,

The temperature the cat runs at matters to its function so you wouldnt want one farther back in the system than the stock location.
http://www.sciencedaily.com.../10/121008082951.htm

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-25-2014).]

Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

No...not from me. You have been mostly very good with your posts that I have seen. Enough that I went back to check. I did get a little pissy with the kid al87.

Really that neg today was from you I suppose?

I just thought there were some mean spirited posts. If that offended you I guess that is how it will be.

[This message has been edited by Diamond Dave (edited 03-28-2014).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just put a got performance muffler on my car in the stock location. it sounds ok, but I was hoping for a lil bit more. Am I right in thinking, pulling the cat and adding a straight pipe will wake up the sound a little more?
Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also mentioned that AL87 seemed to have got it right near the end he mentioned cat then muffler finally. One tthing dude nobody talked about was burning your exhaust valves with so little back pressure. Also with a good highflow cat and good muffler (my prefernce Magnaflow) you can have your cake and eat it too. Peace
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

You must live in a different country than Canada. In Canada, any car that came with a catalytic converter from the factory is required to have one.

There is a place called Manitoba... you might have heard of it? Check page 3 https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/PDFs/VSIHandbook.pdf

That manual you linked actually states that a vehicle only needs the cat inspected if it was manufactured on or after Jan. 1, 1995 (section 1-4)

In Alberta the traffic safety act has no requirement for Catalytic converters, whether the car came with one or not. There are some regulations on the muffler or modifying the muffler and on noise level. No mention whatsoever about cats.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/do...ts/Regs/2009_122.pdf

Even if you are required to have a vehicle inspected by the provincial government (such as registering an out of province vehicle), there is no requirement in the inspection manual, that the exhaust system has a cat. Refer to section 11.8a

http://www.transportation.a...mltmanualdec2009.pdf

Just thought I'd get some facts straight.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock