computer chip by racingfortheson
Started on: 03-08-2014 09:47 PM
Replies: 3 (415 views)
Last post by: racingfortheson on 03-09-2014 08:39 PM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So anyone got the Hypertech chip in their car. If not then which one are most guys running and do they really help? I'm not drag racing, just cruising and enjoying the car. Would I be better off spending money somewhere else?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:
1. So anyone got the Hypertech chip in their car. If not then which one are most guys running and do they really help? I'm not drag racing, just cruising and enjoying the car. 2. Would I be better off spending money somewhere else?

1. Most all are junk. Worse, Many eats fuel. Use search.
2. Yes.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody in an old thread once figured out exactly what the differences were between Hypertech and stock. I don't remember the list but I remember it was very few changes and nothing that's worthwhile.
GM optimized their chips to make fuel mileage under moderate conditions, and power when the driver is pushing it. If you compare them at wide open throttle, the aftermarket chips aren't going to find any power that GM didn't.
The most that aftermarket chips like Hypertech can do, is attempt to make the car feel more responsive at lighter throttle. I don't know if they even succeed at this, but in the attempt, they are likely to use more fuel in everyday driving.

I don't really believe in mass marketed aftermarket chips. However, a chip that's custom tuned for one specific vehicle can serve a purpose. If an engine has been significantly modified, then a custom tuned chip becomes more necessary.

There can be various reasons people make custom chips. Examples would include calibrating for a different cam, different injectors, or maybe you just want to make personal preference adjustments like the behavior of the lockup TCC, idle speed, etc. Some people (including myself) enjoy messing with this stuff. This does require doing a lot of reading and learning though.
If you have the interest, for around the price of a Hypertech you can get the equipment to make your own chips. This lets you customize things exactly how you want them. If you don't have the interest, just save your money because the mass market chips are a gimmick.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx guys

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock