Fiero GT Fastback Decklid Vents Debris Catchers by nightscar
Started on: 03-08-2014 11:42 AM
Replies: 5 (861 views)
Last post by: nightscar on 03-09-2014 07:38 PM
nightscar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,
I know this topic has been around before, but I really couldn't find an answer. Mostly cause I'm not sure what the "proper" name for these things are lol
The underside of the non-solid rear deckvents have like a rain guard, debris catcher thing.
On some model Fiero's it was like chicken wire, on others (GT I believe) it's like a BBQ grill burner cover.

My question is. What really is the purpose of these things? And are the necessary to have?
is it mostly for debris catching?
Rain guards? (minus the chicken wire versions)

I am getting some personalized vents from Silver85sc, and I was going to transplant my debris/rain guards from my original GT vents to the custom ones.. but maybe it would be easier to just get some chicken wire type material instead.. for better air flow?
I personally don't like how the passenger side vent is right over the battery.. wouldn't a heavy rain affect anything? Or am I being paranoid lol

Ty to anyone who can explain exactly what these are, what there purpose is, and if they are really necessary to have.
Nightscar

P.S. On a side note, it would be cool if anyone could design a removable debris/rain guard for those sunny days where you don't need them. and for rainy days where you do.. plus cleaning would be simplified

------------------
My 1985 Fiero GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, this topic has surfaced a few times. Obviously, the decklid vents are just that ... vents for allowing heat to escape from the engine compartment. The grill mesh wire is there to keep leaves, acorns, twigs, etc. from going through the vents and into the engine bay. GM/Pontiac probably designed them to do just that, however, if you don't park your car under anything that sheds/drops then you really don't need them. Another member once posted that the mesh/screen was put there for the general ownership. Those of us that keep our cars indoors and don't park them under trees may not choose to keep the screens. I removed one of the screens while stripping the paint off the vent. The other screen was still in place as I hadn't tried to remove paint from that grill yet. We were due for one of our traditional hail storms here and I had two other cars in the garage already. I parked the Fiero under a mountain cedar in my backyard figuring that the tree might block the hail (this car needs paint anyway). It didn't hail, but the winds made the tree drop a bunch of trash all over the car ... very fine debris. The vent that had the screen removed allowed a lot of crap to get into the engine bay. It was a mess to clean up. Ever since I've kept the car garaged. No problem with stuff getting into the engine anymore.
If you think that your car will be parked under trees for any length of time then you may want to consider keeping the screens.
Regarding water going into the engine compartment ... not an issue.
As usual, others may have alternate opinions.
nightscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

Yes, this topic has surfaced a few times. Obviously, the decklid vents are just that ... vents for allowing heat to escape from the engine compartment. The grill mesh wire is there to keep leaves, acorns, twigs, etc. from going through the vents and into the engine bay. GM/Pontiac probably designed them to do just that, however, if you don't park your car under anything that sheds/drops then you really don't need them. Another member once posted that the mesh/screen was put there for the general ownership. Those of us that keep our cars indoors and don't park them under trees may not choose to keep the screens. I removed one of the screens while stripping the paint off the vent. The other screen was still in place as I hadn't tried to remove paint from that grill yet. We were due for one of our traditional hail storms here and I had two other cars in the garage already. I parked the Fiero under a mountain cedar in my backyard figuring that the tree might block the hail (this car needs paint anyway). It didn't hail, but the winds made the tree drop a bunch of trash all over the car ... very fine debris. The vent that had the screen removed allowed a lot of crap to get into the engine bay. It was a mess to clean up. Ever since I've kept the car garaged. No problem with stuff getting into the engine anymore.
If you think that your car will be parked under trees for any length of time then you may want to consider keeping the screens.
Regarding water going into the engine compartment ... not an issue.
As usual, others may have alternate opinions.

Ty for the reply, Ya I will be converting mine over then, I live in central NY, many pine trees lol
Plus I don't have a garage yet for my fiero so.
The biggest question I had in my mind was if water would effect anything, ty for clearing that up.
Nightscar
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightscar:

What really is the purpose of these things? Rain guards?

If so, they do a piss-poor job of keeping water out.

My Fieros are always out in the elements. I hate the fact that the belt on the front of the engine (both duke and 2.8) always gets soaked in the rain. Makes the belt much more slippery at start-up, resulting in lots of squealing. However, I also discovered if a GT sits long enough, the bottom of the inside of the air filter canister will also fill up with water (to a depth of about half an inch). It surprised me that rain water could actually get in there.

BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a water issue on another car where the water made it's way into the carb while driving. An area washer and a flat rubber washer on the lid stud cleared that problem right up!
nightscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill have to check the air filter bottom
I have the 2.8 Fiero
Evetually mabey next winter I want to grab a carport

https://www.google.com/shop...dU5jwDqm60gH1xIAg.13 94411700888.5&ei=1ggdU4G5D-eT1AGgmYHoCw&ved=0CIUBEKYrMAI

I dont know how it will do in the winter though.. Snow ice ect
Sorry about the link
On my phone is hard to edit lol

[This message has been edited by nightscar (edited 03-09-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay