removing stuck spark plug suggestions? by nickbrown
Started on: 03-07-2014 09:44 PM
Replies: 8 (830 views)
Last post by: thx569 on 03-09-2014 09:28 PM
nickbrown

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickbrownClick Here to Email nickbrownSend a Private Message to nickbrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hgot this fiero a while ago for $400, one of the spark plugs has a rounded hex towards the firewall, I can't get a 5/8 socket to fit, I tired to use a Gator grip socket but it won't fit in the hole, I may try a grip tite socket next but if that does not work i guess i would need to use a easyout,

what is the best way to remove the porcelain? or hollow out the spark plug? without getting porcelain in the cylinder? if i get something in the cylinder what are some ways of getting it out? maybe some kind of small vacuum hoze? maybe hand crank the motor so it blows the stuff out the spark plug hole?

what size easyout do i need?

this car been sitting 5 to 10 years, any advice on starting a car that been sitting this long? I am going to try to hand crank it later in the week,

while using a mirrow, i noticed in one of the cylinders there is some kind of gold stuff in there? maybe old gas? should i spary something in there before starting?

[This message has been edited by nickbrown (edited 03-07-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No panic yet.

Have you tried lots of heat and PB Blaster? If you haven't, make sure you do.

Eventually, if the plug doesn't unscrew, it will sheer and the complete ceramic core will come out. The metal sleeve around it is the weak point. Most likely you won't end up with pieces in there, but you can use a shop vac if necessary. If you are really worried (unlikely since it only cost you $400) you could purchase a small Boroscope from Harbour Freight for cheap. Useful for checking cylinders.

The #5 easy out is the correct size...though I personally worry about sheering it off. I used a #6 which is a bit beefier. Still... lots of heat and PB Blaster. just be slow and careful and it should eventually give up it's grip.

With regards to starting the car...be prepared to change the fuel filter and fuel pump. Definitely change oil, filter and gas. Other issues are really dependant on how it was stored.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 03-07-2014).]

nickbrown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nickbrownClick Here to Email nickbrownSend a Private Message to nickbrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would rotating the motor force the center of the spark plug out? I have broken the porcelain, there still a little sticking out.

http://adrielmichaud.com/mr...a-broken-spark-plug/

[This message has been edited by nickbrown (edited 03-08-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

No panic yet.

Have you tried lots of heat and PB Blaster? If you haven't, make sure you do.

Eventually, if the plug doesn't unscrew, it will sheer and the complete ceramic core will come out. The metal sleeve around it is the weak point. Most likely you won't end up with pieces in there, but you can use a shop vac if necessary. If you are really worried (unlikely since it only cost you $400) you could purchase a small Boroscope from Harbour Freight for cheap. Useful for checking cylinders.

The #5 easy out is the correct size...though I personally worry about sheering it off. I used a #6 which is a bit beefier. Still... lots of heat and PB Blaster. just be slow and careful and it should eventually give up it's grip.

With regards to starting the car...be prepared to change the fuel filter and fuel pump. Definitely change oil, filter and gas. Other issues are really dependant on how it was stored.

if you have to use an easy out I like the square shaped ones best, they don't expand the offending/stuck plug/nut while trying to get it out, use as much PB blaster as you can before ever trying to use the easy out, it will help getting it out with the easy out or socket.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After you get that pesky busted up plug out, try turning the motor by hand. Just to be sure there are no obstructions. Use a 22mm(?) wrench on the crank bolt. Just see if the motor will turn completely. We had one cylinder that had a ring of surface rust in a car that sat for 18 years. This ring was stopping the motor from turning, leading to PO to believe it was seized! Lol his mistake, our score!

Although not 100% necessary, it could save you some trouble and will tell you a lot.

And oh yeah, dump some Marvels in each cylinder and let it sit. We did anyway.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a pick to dig around the base of the plug. There may be a buildup of gunk in the hole that is preventing the socket from fully seating on the plug. Then use forced air from a leaf blower or similar to clean out the debris. Then soak it with the PB Blaster and try again. If needed, alternate the direction of the wrench. Start with a low torque and attempt to loosen then tighten with the same force. Repeat this process and increase the torque each time.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Been there / got the tee shirt --- Lots of pb blaster / clean with a pick / blow out any debris / heat (and I also shot it with 134) repeat over a couple of days. Easy out and work it as slowly and carefully as you can. Good Luck ---- Oh - Anti Seize when you reinstall.
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueClick Here to Email Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you guys ever heard of AEROKROIL, "The oil that creeps"?

It is sold on Kano labs . Com

Orange can. You need to enter a business name to buy it. I used "West End Ales" which is my nanobrewery's official name since I live on West End Avenue.

I have used it many times on my Delorean, in fact, it was a fellow Delroean owner who introduced it to me.
Worth a shot if liquid wrench or PB Blaster isn't doing the trick.

GOOD LUCK! I will be attempting a spark plug change on my '85 GT V6 come warmer weather.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 03-09-2014).]

thx569

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thx569Click Here to Email thx569Send a Private Message to thx569Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

It is sold on Kano labs . Com

Orange can. You need to enter a business name to buy it. I used "West End Ales" which is my nanobrewery's official name since I live on West End Avenue.

Just did a look up on AEROKROIL. Sold by Amazon at 12$ for what looks like a 10 oz spray can. I'm guessing there are a lot of places that sell it as well.

P

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock