Storing a gas tank by Csjag
Started on: 03-05-2014 08:11 PM
Replies: 5 (165 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 03-06-2014 07:12 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have the best procedure for storing a Fiero gas tank that is in good condition so that it won't get rusty inside?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Completely drain it and let it air dry is what I do then store the tank some where safe. Might be some kind of rust inhibitor or some thing you can coat the tank with, I would ask some one at a repair shop that works on fuel tanks to be sure. Dan
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It depends a lot on the climate you have....and I bet yours is high humidity all the time. Ask at a local parts yard, they have to deal with this a lot. You may end up adding sta-bil and sealing the openings.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-05-2014).]

notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used an oxygen scavenger http://tinyurl.com/kh5c6lb for guns, tools, and casr-iron pots/pans. Just a packet or two and a well-sealed plastic bag - no rust. EVER! I use the same product for storing long-term food.

I imagine it would work the same on the interior of a gas tank. Clean and dry thoroughly, throw some oxygen scavenger packets into the thing and securely tape up the ports.

RUST IS OXIDATION. WITHOUT OXYGEN THERE IS NO RUST.

[This message has been edited by notaguru (edited 03-06-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
StaBil just came out with a new stabilizer called 360*. Its added to some fuel, not a full or empty tank, seal the openings with tape and plastic, and it creates a vapor that covers all the surfaces to prevent any rust. You can even add it to a stored car with only a few gallons of gas for extended times. It makes the argument of whether to store full or empty a non issue. In the car, it dont need sealed because its a sealed system already.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roger that sounds like a good product

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock