Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  she will not start if the temp is under freezing im lost need some help

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
she will not start if the temp is under freezing im lost need some help by fierostl63114
Started on: 03-05-2014 10:46 AM
Replies: 18 (275 views)
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 03-09-2014 02:46 PM
fierostl63114

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierostl63114Send a Private Message to fierostl63114Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys I have a 1987 fiero I just bought I drove the car the first week and every thing was fine but now since the temp has dropped under 25 degrees she want start just keep turning like its not getting any gas has any had this problem....Midwest st.louis mo
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgive me for suggesting the obvious, but water in the gas is the first thought. There are numerous gas additives with some form of alcohol that will mix with the water to burn it out.

FYI: I have a 2.8V6 and it has a cold start injector that works too well at 50-60 degrees making it hard to start. At 25, mine starts at the first turn of the engine. If the cold start injector isn't working, I'd expect it to be hard to start on any cool day and impossible at 25.

Sounds like water in your gas.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be that some water is frozen in the fuel system, does the fuel pump run when you turn on the key? The cold start injector could be bad or unplugged. Probably a half dozen other things. Larry

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting fluid, see if it starts on that.

Looks like temps are on the rise, you may be in luck
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When my daughter had her 84 Buick it was the same way. Under 20 degrees it lost spark. GM must have had problems with the 1.8 turbo engines since it came from the factory with a block heater.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put some gas line de-icer in the tank and take a hair dryer on high heat to the injector log areas .get it nice and warm around these areas and it should start right up .repeat the de-icer treatment for a couple of tank fulls and you should be rid of the water in your system .
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This reminds me of A Christmas Story quote Oldsmobile man
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must gas already has ethynol in it. That's what the de-icer is.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that is correct but water still gets in there during a cold winter .I have had to take the hair dryer to my snowblower and my portable generator this year .
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ice frozen in the fuel system is more likely in the line under the car and in the fuel filter. If its really bad in the tank, it could freeze at the sump. Water goes to the bottom.
Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a somewhat similar situation with my SC3800. Below freezing the car would turn over but not start. If I put a jump pac on it it would start and then start for the rest of the day until it sat over night. Turned out to be a loose ground strap to the motor. There was enough power to spin the motor but the voltage would drop to about 9 volts and the ECM would shut down.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As soon as it gets above freezing put an entire can of gas line antifreeze in it, run it and you shouldn't have the problem again this season. you should always put that in the tank in the winter if you don't keep the tank full all the time or in a heated garage. the less gas in the tank is the more condensation will get in the tank and this will happen any time the temps get below freezing.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt it's ice in the lines as the ethanol in the fuel will help dilute the condensation to prevent the pooling of water in the tank. You may very likely be dealing with the likelihood that it is dangerously cold to start the motor at that temperature simply because the oil is not going to reach the bearings and other areas of the engine for lubrication for a very long time for a motor at that temperature and it may therefore be a borderline programming calibration that makes starting very difficult for this reason;

Fuel injector pulse time/startup fuel calibration is adjusted according to the engine temperature at startup and since you are attempting to start the motor at the lower extreme of that calibration table it is possible that the motor is not getting enough fuel because of old clogged injectors not flowing enough, or as someone mentioned indirectly, the startup voltage may not be high enough as there is also a battery voltage offset table that affects the fuel injector pulse time along with the temperature compensation table. Start up air fuel ratio at those temps per ECM calibration will probably be as low as 9:1 and in addition to that the cold motor will absorb a lot of the combustion pressure.

Try holding the accelerator pedal at about 45% as part throttle starts, provide more cranking fuel and wide open throttle starts enter clear flood mode and shut off fuel all together. Other wise you may need to jump start it due to insufficient cranking rpm.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

I doubt it's ice in the lines as the ethanol in the fuel will help dilute the condensation to prevent the pooling of water in the tank. You may very likely be dealing with the likelihood that it is dangerously cold to start the motor at that temperature simply because the oil is not going to reach the bearings and other areas of the engine for lubrication for a very long time for a motor at that temperature and it may therefore be a borderline programming calibration that makes starting very difficult for this reason;

Fuel injector pulse time/startup fuel calibration is adjusted according to the engine temperature at startup and since you are attempting to start the motor at the lower extreme of that calibration table it is possible that the motor is not getting enough fuel because of old clogged injectors not flowing enough, or as someone mentioned indirectly, the startup voltage may not be high enough as there is also a battery voltage offset table that affects the fuel injector pulse time along with the temperature compensation table. Start up air fuel ratio at those temps per ECM calibration will probably be as low as 9:1 and in addition to that the cold motor will absorb a lot of the combustion pressure.

Try holding the accelerator pedal at about 45% as part throttle starts, provide more cranking fuel and wide open throttle starts enter clear flood mode and shut off fuel all together. Other wise you may need to jump start it due to insufficient cranking rpm.

All it takes is one short section of fuel line with not enough dry gas/ethanol in it and seeing it is only happening when it is below freezing I would say its water in the gas. living in Maine temps can get to -20 below 0 F and I have never had a car not start for the reasons you posted. Could it happen, sure, but not likely.

Steve
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
All it takes is one short section of fuel line with not enough dry gas/ethanol in it and seeing it is only happening when it is below freezing I would say its water in the gas. living in Maine temps can get to -20 below 0 F and I have never had a car not start for the reasons you posted. Could it happen, sure, but not likely.
Steve

Possibly, however, that's assuming the water contamination is remaining consistent day after day despite finally getting the motor running and fuel refills which is highly unlikely. I'd say the consistency parallels the constant and unchanging data in the chip, the very thick oil at those temps and the low voltage that will accompany that scenario more consistently than any transient condensation in the tank. Water freezes at ~32 F, so the symptoms he's experiencing should be present by at least 30 deg F.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 03-07-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

Possibly, however, that's assuming the water contamination is remaining consistent day after day despite finally getting the motor running and fuel refills which is highly unlikely. I'd say the consistency parallels the constant and unchanging data in the chip, the very thick oil at those temps and the low voltage that will accompany that scenario more consistently than any transient condensation in the tank. Water freezes at ~32 F, so the symptoms he's experiencing should be present by at least 30 deg F.

Originally posted by fierostl63114:

hey guys I have a 1987 fiero I just bought I drove the car the first week and every thing was fine but now since the temp has dropped under 25 degrees she want start just keep turning like its not getting any gas has any had this problem....Midwest st.louis mo

he can solve the question by spraying some starting fluid in the intake, if it fires then its most likely the water, you should always keep your gas tank as close to full as you can in winter to avoid condensation, that is your enemy in the winter. get a little water anywhere in the line and you will have no pressure to the injectors, no pressure to the injectors is a no fuel situation at the engine.

Start with the easiest to check first before going on to the more complicated and expensive to fix.

Steve
fierostl63114

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierostl63114Send a Private Message to fierostl63114Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the help I put some antifreeze in the gas tank and she started right up but the temp has been above freezing temp so really time will tell but thanks for the help again
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierostl63114:

thanks for the help I put some antifreeze in the gas tank and she started right up but the temp has been above freezing temp so really time will tell but thanks for the help again

Keep us informed if you have the problem again if it goes below freezing, but as I had said earlier keep putting some dry gas into the tank at every fill up as a precaution to prevent gas line freeze up. Better safe than sorry.

Steve
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm certainly interested in hearing what the actual problem is as I never ran into a problem starting my old 2.8 MPFI at near zero degrees F in Kansas even after sitting for nearly a month and I notoriously ran a low 16 gal tank during a time when it was just as hard to find gas with ethanol in it as it is to find it without it now. I also believe water in the tank would be more likely to settle below the baffle and away from the pump after rolling off the tank wall. I'd put my money on a slow crank/battery voltage/amp for the temps as the problems is too consistent and unusual relative to all the other Fieros under similar conditions without the same problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock