High idle on my 1988 V6 2.8 by br1anstorm
Started on: 03-05-2014 09:02 AM
Replies: 9 (559 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-05-2014 08:27 PM
br1anstorm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for br1anstormSend a Private Message to br1anstormEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, another Fiero (mine's a stock Formula) with a high idle problem. It was running at 1500-1800rpm in Neutral on startup, and about 1100 when in Drive and warmed up.

Another bit of possible evidence was that the last emission check indicated it was running a bit rich.

No codes show when I jump the ALDL terminals to get the SES light flashing. But after a lot of research on the forum, I figured that the symptoms pointed to a vacuum leak. So I have just been looking.

The finger-over-the-IAC in the throttle body stalled it when the engine was cold. But once warmer, this test brought the revs down very low, but not enough to stall the engine. So I'm assuming a vacuum leak somewhere.

The EGR tube looks intact, although the corrugated metal heat-soak sleeve makes it hard to be sure.

However...... where the EGR tube connects to the EGR itself, at the flange, there is a gasket. And the gasket on mine is visibly crumbling. There is a gap, or hole, between the flange at the base of the tube, and the mounting face on the EGR.

I tried a quick and dirty test. With the engine running, I blocked the IAC port. Engine revs dropped to maybe 400rpm. Then I put my thumb over the flange/gasket "hole" (before it got too hot!). Engine stalled.

I conclude that the crumbling gasket is the problem! Clearly I need to replace it.

Which leads on to the next question - and it is the usual predictable one as I live in the UK. A replacement gasket (part no Standard VG70 or ACDelco 10239631, according to Rock Auto) costs less than $5. But here's the killer. Even though it would fit into a flat mail-envelope or tiny Jiffy bag, Rock quotes over $50 for the shipping!

Can anyone suggest what other vehicles might have a similar EGR and gasket? I know various other US-market GM models would use the same part. I'm thinking of trying to source a gasket in the UK from a Vauxhall/Opel dealer - although I can't immediately think of any European GM car that uses the 2.8 V6 GM engine.

Failing that I may have to try to make up a new gasket. But that joint gets mighty hot, so I'm not sure if I can find the right material to cut a new one as a DIY job.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Contact Rodney Dickman He sells the replacement EGR gaskets. http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=22&products_id=308
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use the ebay search box for the part number your looking for (ACDelco 10239631) .
ebay UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i...co+10239631&_sacat=0

ebay USA.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...co+10239631&_sacat=0
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M...&hash=item58ac8aa0cc

£9.95 plus shipping from Bedford
br1anstorm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for br1anstormSend a Private Message to br1anstormEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys - it just hadn't occurred to me to look on eBay (or Amazon!). Have now found what looks like a sensible deal from the latter - and was able to add in to the order a small spare part I needed for my Jeep. Now I just sit and wait for the package to arrive....
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are different size openings in the EGR restrictor gaskets for different engine applications, so just be sure you get the right one if you replace the one at the manifold end.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by br1anstorm:

I live in the UK. A replacement gasket (part no Standard VG70 or ACDelco 10239631, according to Rock Auto) costs less than $5. But here's the killer. Even though it would fit into a flat mail-envelope or tiny Jiffy bag, Rock quotes over $50 for the shipping!

And again RockAuto demonstrates the absolute rip-off prices they charge for cross-border shipping... as discussed HERE.
br1anstorm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for br1anstormSend a Private Message to br1anstormEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, fierofool, I had spotted that. I take it that by "manifold end" you actually mean the upper end of the tube which connects to the underside of the plenum chamber (= intake manifold). I need, and believe I have ordered, the gasket which fits at the EGR end of the tube. I was relying on the part number as shown on the Rock Auto website....!

Patrick.... it was interesting to read that linked thread about Rock Auto and shipping. Discussion there seems to have got rather heated and emotional! If Fiero owners in Canada feel hard done by, just imagine what it's like for the few of us over here in UK...

For what it's worth (and I'm straying off topic) I don't think Rock Auto is entirely to blame. First, I was under the impression that they were in effect a "broker" operation, processing orders as an intermediary, with the actual goods coming from warehouses/suppliers across the US. So to some extent they are at the mercy of the shipping costs these suppliers charge. Second, the problem is that many suppliers rely on couriers (UPS, FedEx, DHL) which almost always have a high minimum charge and whose rates, especially for international shipping, are astronomical even without factoring in insurance etc. Very few parts suppliers think of despatching small parts via the US Postal Service (which is much cheaper for international delivery of small packets or envelopes containing little items like gaskets, seals, switches etc).

Having said all that, if Amazon.com (the US operation) can send a small gasket to the UK for less than $9, then Rock Auto ought to be looking hard at how to compete.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes there are customs fees for across-border shipments and those might be embedded in shipping and handling charges. I've shipped a few things up to Canada as an individual, and duties were very minimal. It might be more if the Ship From address were a commercial enterprise as opposed to coming from a private individual.

I regularly ship to Proff in Australia. He orders from over here, has it shipped to me and I ship it on to him. Total of shipping is less than if he had it shipped direct from the seller.

And yes, I was referring to the gasket that goes between the end of the tube and the upper intake. The one at the EGR valve just needs to be the same size as the flange and tube, like RD's illustration.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very few parts suppliers think of despatching small parts via the US Postal Service (which is much cheaper for international delivery of small packets or envelopes containing little items like gaskets, seals, switches etc).

Having said all that, if Amazon.com (the US operation) can send a small gasket to the UK for less than $9, then Rock Auto ought to be looking hard at how to compete.

Well exactly. If RockAuto put any effort into it, I'm sure they could convince their suppliers to use USPS when shipping out of the country.

Patrick.... it was interesting to read that linked thread about Rock Auto and shipping. Discussion there seems to have got rather heated and emotional!

Yeah, we're an argumentative bunch out here in the colonies.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock