engine hook up question by sgosser
Started on: 03-03-2014 05:32 PM
Replies: 5 (176 views)
Last post by: sgosser on 03-04-2014 09:58 AM
sgosser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 notch back with an 87 2.8 sitting in it ready to hook up. I have found that the water pump doesn't have the aft hook up for that hose. I ordered an 85 pump since they don't cost much, and to make sure it had metal impellers. Are there any more differences on hook up of the 87 engine to 85 car? I have been delayed because of the weather so I am sitting here just thinking about it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know the on;y difference was how the heater hoses flowed on 87-88. Makes sense the pump was different, should be fine, might need the older style hoses though...

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This process has taught me some things. One is how many tools I did not have. The other is how much I did not know about mechanic work. I am not looking forward to doing the water pump after reading about it on here. I did reach down and get the top bolt out with my fingers. It was that loose. Maybe I will get lucky.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The heater core return hose on the 85-86 V-6 attaches to a fitting on the water pump housing. The 87-88 returns to the passenger side undercar cooling tube. The new pump will need the correct fitting installed from the 85-86 V-6.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing the pump is intimidating but not bad at all, I've done 3 in car. Best time is around 15 mins, takes longest to clean the surface. Remember to keep the bolts in order, bunch of different sizes and lengths... Carefully with the two that go through the timing cover. Can strip em, they will leak.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help. I got the new water pump. It came with a small pipe to insert in the pump so I think I am ok. Now I just need to wait on the weather to improve. We are totally iced in here in north west tn.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock