84' SE: Pads rubbing on new caliper/rotor install by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 03-02-2014 03:40 PM
Replies: 7 (320 views)
Last post by: mckaymotoworks on 03-05-2014 03:16 PM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I successfully completed the left front with no rubbing, following Ogre's wheel bearing torque specs, and the torque specs for the caliper bolts. Spins freely
The right side is rubbing the rotor when spun. I have double checked that the caliper piston was all the way compressed, the rotor/wheel bearing torqued to spec.
The pad drags pretty heavily, though the whole assembly slides on with pads over the rotor without much force.

All rotor/pad parts are ACDelco that I matched catalog numbers to the 84' SE. The calipers are REMAN Pro Stop from Pepboys, seems to fit welll and bolt holes align properly.
Any suggestions on what component to check?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moved on to the rear awaiting some feedback about the above referencing the right front. I cannot seem to get the rear pistons fully compressed per Ogre's Rear Brake Service. I also do not see the adjustment bolt setup referenced in my 84' Workshop manual.
How do I get the pistons to bottom out?

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front:
Did you Lube the sliders?
Recheck hub bearing. Too much play can drag the pads etc. Too tight can/will preload the bearings and cause major problem.

Rear:
Is easy to compress. Any force means trouble.
likely rear piston is bad. Common problem on rebuilt.
Edit> example: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...314-2-111090.html#p4

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-02-2014).]

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Front:
Did you Lube the sliders?
Recheck hub bearing. Too much play can drag the pads etc. Too tight can/will preload the bearings and cause major problem.

Rear:
Is easy to compress. Any force means trouble.
likely rear piston is bad. Common problem on rebuilt.
Edit> example: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...314-2-111090.html#p4

What exactly is a slider, is it also known by another name?
So I need to buy new rear calipers, not REMAN? Though I didn't get mine from FS, they also only sell REMAN as well. So it's hit or miss with REMAN, and if so, you buy new?

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 03-02-2014).]

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I called Pepboy's and they are ordering a new pair. I also spoke with the FS, they said they've sold their rebuilt calipers for 19 years without many issues, can you elaborate on the above? I need to get this resolved quickly as my neighbor wants to buy the car.
Merlinhaggard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sliders would be the tubes that the caliper bolts go through. The caliper slides back and forth on them. Dont know if this has anything to do with your problem. Are you talking about front only? If the front is dragging its probably the caliper piston not retracting. If its the rear, its probably the ebrake to tight.. Just thoughts.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Merlinhaggard:

The sliders would be the tubes that the caliper bolts go through. The caliper slides back and forth on them. Dont know if this has anything to do with your problem. Are you talking about front only? If the front is dragging its probably the caliper piston not retracting. If its the rear, its probably the ebrake to tight.. Just thoughts.

Yes the bolt sliders are lubricated. This is the rear calipers, I did not reconnect the e-brake system since that's what caused the original issue hence me replacing most of the system. Decided to wait on the e-brake cables since it's an auto.

On the right front, I do have some half drag. I can rotate, half the rotor is normal drag, half is heavy, so the rotor is out of round. I will be checking the bearing fitment and again torque to spec.

Thank you for the reply.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped out the calipers, the piston is bottomed out in both pairs. I can tell by the spring retainer for the pads, there's no more room for it to compress as these would hit the side wall of the caliper. I also just assembled with two lug nuts to hold the assemblies steady while I installed, so maybe the issue will be resolved when the wheels are installed and nuts torqued to spec.

I will have the new rotors checked for out of round to rule them out. To reiterate I checked all part numbers against the ACDelco master catalog and matched each to the box. I shouldn't need to shave the pads any if the problem persist after the other components are ruled out?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock