F23 shifter mechanism removal by fieroaddicted
Started on: 03-02-2014 08:19 AM
Replies: 7 (657 views)
Last post by: fieroaddicted on 03-03-2014 11:57 AM
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can the shifter assembly be removed from the tranny by simply removing the shifter guide bolt and the five bolts that hold the shifter in? The "shift" movement is fine, but the "select" movement is partially seized up and not moving properly. I would like to pull it apart and clean it up so it works properly. I sprayed some lube on the mechanism and it helped, but should be removed to get it sorted out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. I had to switch mine over doing the hybrid swap because it was broke. I think there is a roll pin you need to punch out. Its been awhile.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can see the hole for the dowel pin in the large shift lever. There is also a C-clip holding the shaft for the select lever. Take both those off and then you can slide the cover plate off the shaft as well. I wasn't able to pull the shaft out of the transmission, but having those 3 parts off allowed me to clean everything up and paint them.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, exactly what i needed to know. Thanks guys.
troy
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just put it in neutral remove the one guide bolt on the side and the bolts on top and it will wiggle out nicely.

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieroguru, I assume you can buy the ball end that the cable attaches to? I noticed you had one bolted to the custom piece in the pic above.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The F23 was already in the car when it came to me, so I didn't source the ball end. However, it looks like it is just the ball end that is used with most Fiero cables. It "had" a square section right under the head to keep it from spinning in the bracket (like the stock fiero cables use), but I turned it down square to allow it to fit better.

Here is a picture before I modified the square shank portion:
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cables do have a ball/socket affair on the tranny end, but they do not look like they will come apart from the socket they are in. I'll have to take another look at it when i get home from work. If it will, it will be too easy to just use that one. I am using 2 select cables from rodney (that i need to order yet), but i have to call him and let him know i want the cables set up for the f23 ends.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock