Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fuel line questions (the lines atop the tank)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fuel line questions (the lines atop the tank) by notaguru
Started on: 03-01-2014 01:05 PM
Replies: 2 (189 views)
Last post by: notaguru on 03-01-2014 03:18 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CAR:
'88GT that's been parked in the sun for many years. 2.8L V6, AT.

PROBLEMS:
Low fuel pressuve (never over 32psi), poor performance (duh!), inoperative fuel gauge.

FUEL SYSTEM:
When I dropped the tank I found rust everywhere and an astonishing amount of trash inside. The tank is being professionally cleaned, all visible hardware has been cleaned, and I am installing a new fuel pump, sock, and fittings. Coming from the tank's cap are a pressure line from the pump, a return line, and what appears to be a vapor line. That "VAPOR LINE" is connected to the tank's cap, inside of which there's a small vented cage housing a non-ferrous metal (brass?) ball about 1/2" in diameter, a stop-flow valve, and a plastic fitting that holds it all. That "CAGE" is removed by bending back some tabs - which, in my case, fit badly.

QUESTIONS:
1. How can I properly clean the inside of the metal fuel lines?
2. What should I do about that valve assembly in the vapor return line?
3. Should I replace the rubber fuel pressure lines between the tank and the car?
4. Where can I buy a new assembly, and what should it cost?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were me, I would buy another sending unit. Trying to clean your old one might prove difficult or at the very least a PITA. Someone here probably has one.....just post something in the Mall.

As for the rubber lines.....I generally leave them alone when I do a fuel pump, but given the condition of your tank it might be a good idea to change them out.
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

If it were me, I would buy another sending unit. Trying to clean your old one might prove difficult or at the very least a PITA. Someone here probably has one.....just post something in the Mall.

I have ordered a complete "universal" 0-90ohm float-type sender from eBay - $22.
I plan to surgically remove its variable potentiometer and mount it to the Fiero plate that's welded to the tube. Its position will precisely maintain the original swing, axis of rotation, and distance from the mounting plate. My intent is to replace the original design (terrible) with something that's much more robust. 50 years ago I did something similar on a Jaguar - it worked well.

HOW ABOUT JB WELD (OR ???) AROUND THOSE TUBES, ON THE TOP OF THE MOUNTING PLATE?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock